The_Professor
(.224 member)
21/05/05 05:11 PM
Re: Is a 6.5x54mm adequate for Water Buffalo?

Just a different thought on this one!

I have a wonderful 375 Weatherby on a Ruger #1 it is a 'very big' game rifle. I have used in on Water Buff once ( I know many of you do not condone single shots for DG but that is another story).

Given where I live, my access to Buff hunting and the cost, I will probably be able to justify one or two more Water Buff and perhaps a couple of Cape Buff in the rest of my life as a hunter. Given I'm pushing 50!.

I would dearly love a double. I can afford one, but I can't justify one to myself. My 375 has only fired one shot in 'anger'. I've tried it on big NT pigs and it is not efficient. 300 grain Woodlies go straight through without expanding. My 7mm Weatherby Ruger #1 is much more efficient on pigs and in reality my 30-06 bolt action is perfect.

My point is, this is a forum especially for those interested in BIG RIFLES, in the modern era we have so little opportunity to use them for what they were really designed, it seems kind of a sad waste to me to have the opportunity to hunt a big dangerous beast and then not take that rare chance to use a big rifle.

Regards,
The Professor.

PS. Anyone who has read my comments on bow hunting DG may find this idea strange. I'm sure you're right, these things are never simple or we would not enjoy the discussion.!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com