DarylS
(.700 member)
11/11/17 05:34 AM
Re: Buffalo with Bow

I 'went' the "Unlimited" route years ago, after contracting tendinitis in both elbows. My hard kicking, heavy draw (82 & 74)long bows took their toll. I couldn't shoot for 2 years while I was recovering.

I started out with 3 or 4 different solid releases that looked interesting - without triggers, the guys called "hook releases". The green one in the picture looks like one. I didn't like them, each to his own.

Unlimited in target shooting means:

1st bow for that was a Darton Lightning set at 60#
adjustable trigger release
optics ie: peep and magnifying lenses fore and aft
36" stabilizer

I could never shoot a group as it was too hard on arrows with "Robinhoods" happening almost every group. I had to shoot 3 spot targets only. I shot quite a few 300/300 on indoor nights - too easy. At that time, I was shooting Easton 2512 X7 arrows.

This got pretty boring quite quickly so I reduced the length of the stabilizer to 6", got rid of the optics, kept the peep sight, and had to contine shooting the 3-spot target.
Shot a few 300's with that set-up and averaged 288/300 for the season -still too easy & not much of a challenge.

I then removed the sights, and went with fingers & flexible plastic 'arm(rest), necessary for fingers. By then I shooting a Hitec Pinnacle, which I still have. My average was still in the mid 270's, but this style of shooting was much more demanding of me. It was as accurate or more so out to 50yards, than a handgun, it seemed. Anything I looked at, got hit. During the year I shot this class, "Bowhunter BareBow" I became fairly good at it and due to using fingers and canting the bow as if it was a longbow, became very fast with it as well. It was almost as fast as a longbow, but much more accurate & harder hitting. I'd switched to Easton 2315's at 550gr.

Shooting a compound with fingers and no sights, with practice, will allow shooting tea-cup size (8-ring) groups at 30 to 45 yards. 3 fingers under, concentrate on the target and 'centre-hit'.

I do have to compliment anyone shooting big game with a bow - any bow. I never have, only small game - bunnies and gophers.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com