NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/11/16 12:05 PM
Re: Where does the 7x57 Mauser stand as a sambar cartridge?

Daryl,

In much of Australia, and NZ, we are often blessed with having few or any game laws, often no quotas, limits, sporting regulations etc. And also often numerous game animals, often feral, which are considered by the authorities as pests to be destroyed or wiped out entirely. Great for us hunters as it allows often free or low cost hunting and for those with the opportunity and will, possibly unlimited hunting.

Hunting can have little "cost" and I do not necessarily mean dollar cost. Making a mistake here, may mean an animal suffers a lingering painful death, but for the shooter, perhaps only some remorse and in some cases, not another thought on it. Bit different from in places where say, two "black marks", mean you loose your hunting licence for life.

Often there is also a lack of a formal "hunting culture" or education. where young guys teach themselves, often from the wrong sources, "some mate who shot a deer once". As Gryphon mentioned elsewhere, meeting guys carrying a .22/250 and going sambar hunting. The first time I went water buffalo hunting, between three of us, we carried a 6.5x55 loaded with FMJ "mil" pointed ammo (not a good choice), a semi auto 12 gauge shot loaded with Brennecke type slugs (not a good choice), and I carried my .30-06 with Norma 220 gr projectiles. Really it was whatever we had available, but at least I put some thought into what might actually work. Didn't bump into any buffalo that trip, it turned out to be mostly a fishing trip and was still a great fun trip.

The "unlimited", low "cost" game, exterminate ferals, lack of a formal hunting "culture" environement sometimes leads to an attitude where the "fuck it, its only a feral goat, deer, buffalo" (insert the relevant game species) comes in, and the gut shot animal running off into the distance is not worth following up, plenty more abd easier ones to slaughter elsewhere ...

The internet has also led to an increased "promotion" of some of these attitudes, and seems to be creeping into print magazines now as well. Where guys openly admit and even promote shooting "trophies" by spotlight, from helicopters etc etc. Most of this spotlighting, of sambar deer for example seems to be done from public roads, or is often done in this manner. Also illegal. And usually often without landowners permission. Again the "fuck it" attitude. Some twits even promote nothing wrong with wounding an animal, "its just some ffffing feral!" is usually the shallow response.

If guys think any of this is going to help us all keep hunting in the future, lack of any ethics, sporting code, and especially lack of concern for animal welfare, they are fooling themselves. There ARE laws which govern animal cruelty. There ARE laws which cover the taking of wild game, eg harvesting of kangaroos, shooting of. These laws ARE also applied to hunting of other species, and antis have in the past tried to argue, only brain shots are acceptable for ANY game species and hunting. Something we have politically argued against more than once. Animal cruelty charges can be applied. Evidence? When some "hero" posts on an internet forum about his actual exploits.

We also read every now and again, about some deer or kangaroo found with an arrow sticking in it, or found with .22 bullets in it, and it is usually some anti front page story which the general public does take note of, and does create negative feeling towards hunters and hunting. And provides ammunition to the antis wanting bans. Not smart at all.

BTW all this is off topic on the opening post. None of the above is directed at "eagle" but is general comment.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com