Miller
(.275 member)
17/05/03 08:58 PM
Re: Quality Boots

Gryphon,

Here is the problem I am running into, I want waterproof boots, as in Gore-tex/Cambrelle liners, but it most also allow me to resole them. Very few of today's boots will allow to resole them, because they glued together instead of being stitched, and the few good stitched boots I can find here are not waterproof.

Scarpa's look like the best possiblity, but cannot be resoled. So I have ruled them out. Blundstone & Redback make some serious boots, but nothing with a waterproof liner, waterproof leather does not work very long, and of course, all their boots have a non-resolable, injected sole.

So I will keep looking for the moment, but my current pair is heading back to their makers for a complete rebuild, new soles, liners, heel counters, restitching, the whole nine yards, a service that Danner's provides for their customers. Will run me about $280AU, but should be able to get another 5 or 6 years out of them before I have to put them to rest.

Danner's along with Russell Moccasin are the only shoemakers(that I know of), that build footwear, Russell will even custom build to your specs, that is to last as long as possible and then provide you with a service to rebuild your existing pair so you still do not have to buy a new pair of shoes. A rather old-fashioned way to run a business.

Lynn Miller

Contact Us NitroExpress.com