eagle27
(.400 member)
21/06/16 03:58 PM
Re: Scoring systems for water buffalo

The Douglas scoring system is based on symmetry i.e. a head that is perfectly symmetrical, both antlers, horns of a trophy head the same.
This system doesn’t penalise it just provides a fair way of comparing heads. If you score the largest antler or horn or take the largest measurements of any antler/horn you can never double it numerically or visually as you only ever will have one ‘largest’ antler/horn but if you score the shortest or take the shortest measurements of any antler/horn you can double it numerically and visually. This is what the Douglas score achieves. To most people a nice symmetrical trophy head is most pleasing visually, not a trophy head that is out of proportion or with one nice side and one fuggly side.
It should be easy to get computer imaging to produce symmetrical photos of any trophy based on the shortest measurements then all trophies are compared fairly. The Douglas score is the only one I know of that is based on what our mind can visualise, any other scoring system is only a mathematical calculation and doesn’t necessarily bear resemblance to what a head actually looks like.
For what it’s worth and got nothing to do with this discussion, I am a qualified Douglas Scorer assessed and qualified many moons ago by the then quite old Norman Douglas himself.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com