NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/03/16 12:16 AM
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Drive North

"A Safari is not a destination, it is a journey through life ..." & "An exciting buffalo hunt"

Return of the Jedi ... to Tantooine or at least to Cobber Pedy

I really wanted to enjoy a night in one of the underground hotels of Cobber Pedy. Many people live in caves in Cobber Pedy and there are a half dozen or so motels and hotels with underground rooms. Some better in design than others. Spent an hour driving in circles looking for the small place I had stayed in with my wife years ago, it was on a small back road ... ended back at the road house at the highway and a nice lad at the counter helped me with a list from the internet. Made some phone calls and the my old place was full as was all of them except one. It turned out OK, part of it was a bit artificial with roofed off areas, but where I stayed it was actually in the living rock and cave rooms.

Return journey - Coober Pedy and the Underground Motel

I wanted to stay in one of the underground hotels or motels again, so aimed for Coober Pedy on Day Three of the return trip. Previously had stayed at the Comfort Inn a couple of times, a pleasant completely underground motel delved into the rock of the hillside and cliff.

This time with no booking it came close, the Comfort Inn was full, as was the main hotel which has some underground rooms, another couple of motels as well BUT got the last room at the Underground Motel! Probably were some rooms at one of the normal motels but I wanted a cave to stay in.

The main entrance.

The Hallway.

My room with its kitchette.

A roof of living stone.

Even the ensuite bathroom is underground.

Guest kitchen.

Funny little talkative Thai or Khymer woman running the reception at the motel.

Was always worried about the buff head and any odour at these places. No one complained though. Out in the car park met a couple of guys in a big 4WD ute who looked like hunting sorts and were on the way to the North, starting somewhere in NSW or Vic, I forget.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com