larcher
(.416 member)
27/09/15 10:03 PM
Re: A safari is a journey + an exciting buff hunt - Hunting

quote Actually it was funny and made me nervous, that Clayton had told me, "good luck" with regards to JB wanting to bowhunt a buffalo bull and I had to back him up !!! Sometimes they fall over and sometimes they refuse to no matter what. JB however is an experienced bow hunter, including elephant, and showed me a very dramatic video on his phone from Zimbabwe, where his friend got squashed by an elephant, but was hunting again a week later with every rib broken and other injuries. So much for the weak "French" jokes we keep getting plagued by on the internet. A pity this video will probably nver be shown on the net by the outfitter who owns it, as it has to be the most dramatic I have ever seen.

Bowhuntingwise, I was very confident, having trained extensively and opted for what is undisputed for arrows (reference Dr Ashby). It's typical for people not having seen for real the devastating effect of an arrow, to emit doubts. The only setback would have been an arrow ill placement, what is unlikely on a large animal at 20m. I showed a video clip of an ele charge when in Zim my cousin was in the receiving end. The rights of this video belong to the outfitter, so sorry not to post it.

I mentioned in a post. But one reads or watches TV where people talk about walking in a circle ... they are so dumb .... yep .... we followed the dry creek North, at one point had to leave it as the bush was too thick beside it. Came to a dry clay hollow. Seeing some trees in the distance to the East thought the creek must have bent that way.Actually we were on a smaller creek not on the map which did peter out. The creek we wanted was further East. Somehow we managed to walk South again and hit the river we started from ... finding it, thought "Wow this is a big water hole. Walking along it, it went on and on and on, and eventually, thought something was wrong. Pulling oyt the GPS it showed we had walked a lovely loop back the way we have come ...

One should realise the sun was in the wrong direction when walking. Funny thing, later in the day heading back to the vehicle and track, I could really feel a pull to walk with a clockwise bent, it was almost physical. I have a compass on my watch strap and checked often. And when JB was walking in front, I could see he too was getting "pulled" to the clockwise, checking against the compass. It was strange. Never felt that before.

BTW this countryside here was flat and featureless except for tracks, fencelines, rivers. But one could always find one's way out by walking properly in a direction to strike a trackline."

Extremely disturbing : I think I can say that as John as I have bushcraft experience to not even imaqine to get lost or worse make a round walk.
First explanation, we count on each other and were not as thorough as when alone. In my case, I have no experience with flat terrain lacking hills to a perfect orientation.
As John writes, we were both prone to divert clockwise, any explanation.
And in my case what was absolutely disturbing, HAVING THE SUN IN THE NORTH in the middle of day, and not in the South.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com