NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/05/15 05:19 PM
Re: Bandy Bandy and a Carpentaria

The only snakes I have seen - in Australia - in the wild have been:

Brown snakes - lots of them, on the farm and occasionally when hunting or out in the bush. Fell on top of one once, it was underneath my back when sliding down a river bank and slipped over, felt it with my hand and jumped about twelve feet. Numerous times have done amusing hops and skips though the grass when seeing one a few inches from my foot when stalking through the grass. I don't like them near home but when they are around the mice and rats in the sheds are much reduced.

Red bellied black snakes - seen a few near home. Try not to kill these as they kill other snakes.

Taipan - seen one in Arnhemland. It slid a metre behind Matt Graham and Steve when butchering a young buff bull, and a metre in front of me behind them. They never saw it.

Death Adder - saw a dead one squashed on the road, on the coast. Did not know they were there.

Python of some sort - seen a couple on the roads in the NT.

Picked up an unidentified snake in a creek one day out of the water. Thought it was some bark but it happened to have eyes. Was probably dead. Was about seven at the time.

I think that is it, from memory. They are around and not as common as thought having reasonable territories and also avoid humans. A nuisance for dogs and cats. Probably lost two or three cows years ago to snake bites too.

A sheep property we used to have as a kid had fun throwing rocks as snakes in an old dry underground water tank/cistern. The snakes would slide into the inlet holes into the tank and fall in, the sides being 12 or 15 feet deep. Sometimes several snakes, almost always being browns in there. Also the cold ruined cottages used to have browns in them as well, in the ceilings or behind sheets of iron. We used to look for them. But never handle them.

Obviously a warning is needed on this thread. Do not handle poisonous snakes if you don't not know what you are doing. And don't handle any snakes if you can't identify them as poisonous or not.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com