Marrakai
(.416 member)
21/08/14 01:27 PM
Re: Big Boars

Mick:
Some good boars there mate, good stuff!

Hope you don't mind me piggy-backing () onto your thread, but would have had to repeat the same title in a new one.

A couple more big boars bagged yesterday afternoon.

This one was bedded under a Pandanus and came out like a freight train, missed him with the first barrel but got back onto him quickly for a shoulder-shot as he leaped up the creek-bank.

This one was bedded in a patch of long grass shaded by a Bloodwood and came out huffing and puffing, made the mistake of stopping momentarily for a look back at the source of the disturbance- me!

That second one gave me a bit of a fright actually- funny story. He looked stone dead when I reached him, even poked him in the eye for no response, so dropped the backpack and started foraging for the camera tripod (the only concession I make for hunting solo). Next thing the "dead" boar rolls over. OK, happens sometimes, back to my pack. Then serious rustling, and I turn to find he has rolled onto his belly, head up, and is trying to get his legs under him! The look in his eyes spoke volumes, so I instantly grabbed the rifle and shot him straight in the face, the bullet entering the eye. That did the trick! Phee-ew!

Never a dull moment jumping big boars from their beds along the seasonal creeklines in the Top End. I used to curse the swirly wind in the afternoons, but have learned to live with it and use it to move the quarry from their hidden beds into the rifle sights!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com