NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/08/14 01:35 AM
Re: A bit of crop protection

Yes the rabbits would be the same species as in Europe. They were introduced into Australia by the colonialists and proved more than successful with huge plagues of them. After the introduction of myxomatosis and later calici virus they are more controlled. I will have lots of them until it warms up with some humidity when the mosquitoes and calici virus will take a toll of them.

I would love to see the recipe of your grandmothers rabbit stew.

I use a shotgun as well. But when hunting for the pot, I prefer a rifle with less meat damage and no pellets. On the crop the distance is too far for a shotgun. But in the grassy areas a shotgun is perfect. Only one rabbit was shot in the vineyard neighbouring the crop. Shot under the vines several rows in, with only its head poking out around a post.

Have been out on them a couple more times since.

Ash,

I think my .22 Magnum needs re-sighting in. Then it too will get a good workout.

BTW one of the rabbits I shot in the head at about a hundred metres. It flung itself into the air at least a metre. I thought it might be nose shot. When I walked up to it, its head was 75% destroyed. Shows what their nerve reactions and muscle memory can do. Using a .22 RF I know I loose a fair number down burrows just like that. A forked stick put down the hole and twisted will get some of them back out.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com