NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
31/07/14 02:05 PM
Re: Tipping in Australia

Quote:

As NitroX stated, No tipping required.

Giving tips is not in our culture.

I was actually very uncomfortable on my safari to South Africa with regards to having to tip. As it was not a part of my upbringing I didn't have a grasp on what things I did and didn't have to tip. Ie my first taxi ride to the hotel... I paid the fare but didn't pay a tip.

I've never really tipped for a taxi in Africa. Maybe a small amount on top. Some taxi drivers "take" their own "tip" when returning any change less an extra amount usually more than a "tip".

On my first safari, I didn't tip the PH at all. Since when does a "professional" get a tip? He was probably annoyed.

On my second I didn't as the warvets ffffed it up and I had no money left over after buying a second safari.

The third I gave a good amount, in my Aussie opinion, as the Zim PH said he had to pay for my airfare when his hired Landcruiser lost a wheel on the drive out and was out of action. So I tipped him well in compensation.

But in Australia, give what you think is appreciative to the guide and staff.

None of those guys in the outfitting business are rich. They do it for the lifestyle.

AGAIN NO TIPPING is required in Australia for restaurants, bars and pubs. It is an incredibly STUPID practice and not common in Australia. We have Unions here that fought in the 1930's for fair wages. Begging for tips is not required by workers to get a fair wage. Over time rates can be at 150% to 200% of the normal wage. Penalty rates, eg working on weekends and public holidays can vary from 150% to 300% of the normal day wage. Keeping a bar tab is mostly unknown, you pay as you go and no tip for the publican is required.

There may be a "tip" jar for coins for anyone so inclined. There will be a "tip" line on the credit card invoice. But tips are not expected.

And no bitchy waitress will come running after you screaming like a banshee "where is my tip!!!!!". (never happened to me in the US but to friends who were unaware. )

Contact Us NitroExpress.com