NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/07/14 05:53 PM
Re: 45/70 Lever Action On Australian Water Buffalo.

I've mentioned this on the forums before so may as do it another time.

When I hunted cape buffalo in the Matetsi Safari Area in Zimbabwe in 2002, there was an American client also hunting with HHK. I was hunted with Pierre van Wyk, and Nemba Safaris in the Gwayi Valley, but after we were thrown off Pierre's farm by 'warvets', HHK kindly agreed to let Pierre finalise the safari on their concession in the Matetsi.

The American client was from North Carolina I think, and was hunting buffalo and elephant among other game. He wanted to use his Marlin guide gun in .45/70 on cape buffalo and did so successfully with no hassles. He had extra heavy flat nosed hardened lead bullets. I forget how heavy but could guess.

He shot his elephant with a .500 Super Dooper Whatsit (ie I forget what it exactly was), but tested out the .45/70 on the dead elephants skull and the PH and client were satisfied with the penetration. I think it was in excess of one metre penetration.

Personally no interest in the .45/70 other than actually using it for brush hunting, pigs and the like. But like many cartridges, it can do what is required IF proper bullets and loads are used, and the right shots are picked. Like a lot of other cartridges can also do.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com