DarylS
(.700 member)
07/06/13 11:36 AM
Re: u tube

The 147gr. bullet had a VERY short bearing surface due to it's BT and long sloping nose. For that reason, most match barrels used by us, were made undersize for shooting that ammo, specifically. These barrels (many Matco's) were usually .3075", .307 and some as small as .3065" or maybe (??) .306" were made and used by the BCRA & DCRA. They were not only more accurate than commercial .308 barrels, but lasted longer as well. When a barrel was found to shoot well with the issue ball ammo, that's usually what that barrel was saved for - registered matches.

In watching the video and the speed of shooting multiple buffalo, that barrel would have been cooking hot in no time at all - expecialy in Australia - and perhaps along with the short bearing surface, boat-tailed bullet - therein lies the answer to short life - most likely the heat though, I would expect.

In similar fashion, I recall the rifle I had to "Qualify" with back in 74. It was a Model 70 A, that had seen perhaps 5 years of shooting IVI 69 ammo. Not really bad stuff - it shot well in my Palma Trophy Match rifle.
The rifle had been used by perhaps 15 'member's and a total of 20 rounds each per year - so that's 300 per year for 5 years is 1,500rounds. We fired 5 to check the iron sights. I shot irons REALLY well back then and was surprised to see a 5" group with a tight sling, prone. I pulled the bolt and had a look down the tube. The CLP saw me and came over - I then exclamined to the CPL - this rifle doesn't have any rifling for 6 to 8" up the tube. it's just a memory. He simpley said "Shhhhhhhhh". They thing it's their shooting. I was one of not very many who got their 'rifles' badge that year.

One 'member' put the rifle into the case after shooting his 'course of fire' (the second or third to use it) and the plastic case melted around the barrel. They were Psssst hot.

So - yeah - that stuff when shot hard and fast, is hard on a barrel, but what isn't when shot like that?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com