NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
27/12/12 09:12 PM
Re: Gun questions about Down Under

Quote:

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what percentage of Australia is crown land? I was wondering if you guys had to buy into a hunting lease or if there was free access to hunting property.

This is just off the top of my head ,I haven't bothered to look it up but as an overall percentage probably not much really. It varies greatly state by state, Victoria probably has the easiest crown land hunting, NSW has a licencing system for state forest hunting in quite a few forests, I domt think Qld has any public hunting areas and I think SA is very limited or has none, the NT has only 4 public reserves and WA I know nothing about but its probably got none as its a hard state gun law wise.

Actually a lot of Australia is "Crown land", if we take into account most of outback Australia is pastoral leases and gov't owned. The leases may be renewable and for 99 year periods, but they are not freehold land. I don't know the definition of crown land though.

South Australia has a lot of crown land. However hunting is only available on unalienated crown land where hunting has not been banned, which I guess means unused. The trouble is no bastard in gov't will tell anyone where it exists, but it does exist for those that have found out. Unlimited hunting on those lands. I know one area the gov't decided to ban hunting on it, as it was declared non hunting recently.

SA has several duck hunting reserves. The SSAA does some culling on gov't lands, parks etc. Most hunting is on private property where permission must be obtained. On the other hand, we have few controls, eg spotlighting is legal even for deer, even if unethical, few seasons, bag limits etc to worry about, only ducks and quail.

NSW has a lot of public land hunting now run by the Game Council, and obtained for shooters thanks to the Shooters and Fishers Party.

Victoria has a lot of public lands hunting and few controls as well, usually no bookings required.

NT has a few reserves as mentioned, otherwise it is all private land (ie leased properties) or Aboriginal land. Permission must be obtained to hunt. Actually harder to get FREE access than many believe, the reason outfitters are often used. Even though it is a big place, there are not a lot of properties as things go, as the leased properties are large themselves. Some individuals have lots of access, many residents up there don't. Of course properties get income from the outfitters, so prefer them. However I once got access to a property merely by telephoning the owner and chatting for a while. Helps to have a common person making the recommendation to name. Unfortunately the leasehold was sold a year or two later. So gaining access starts all over again ...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com