NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/12/12 04:23 PM
Re: Should Sound Moderators be legal for hunting in Australia?

Quote:

When the law changed down here, I made inquiries about what justified a Suppressor/Can?
IIRC, both my own solicitor and the AFP F/arms Rego down here confirmed that it was; "The Threaded Portion or Bayonet Mount That Attaches To the Firearm" was the key part!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Quote:

Homer, thanks for clearing that up. So even just a threaded washer looking thing is illegal. It looked so innocuous that if it was in a workshop drawer you wouldn't even know it was. Hmmm maybe the whole point I guess!

Probably depends on the State or Territory legislation again.

I understand when silencers were banned in SA two or three decades ago, the actual silencer or suppressor was illegal to own. Having a threaded muzzle on your barrel was not illegal. Never had legal advice on this though, so of course not giving legal advice on the matter.

Homer,

You may have stated somewhere previously. How effective are these suppressors on high velocity rounds? How quiet or otherwise are they?

Using a borrowed rifle in Norway, I didn't really notice the difference. However it is claimed the animals have trouble placing the direction of the shot. Must have some reduction in the muzzle and noise as well, except I couldn't hear any real difference. Never tested in out intentionally or systematically though. Of course the sonic crack will still occur with high velocity rounds.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com