eagle27
(.400 member)
22/03/12 04:50 PM
Re: South Westland 14" bull tahr

Rod

I was pleased to share the photos and information for those that may wish to hunt in this area. It brought back memories for me too.

My oldest nephew, his dad and I are planning a trip into a tahr and chamois block a few rivers south of the Glaciers in South Westland late next month. You are right about the steepness and tough terrain in these areas and at my age now I'll be the puffing billy but speed is not always the essence of hunting I have found. Provided you have a bit of endurance, take plenty of energy food and drink and take your time, you can still get animals, many times quite close to a hut or campsite. Head down bum up is not always that productive.

After a day or two some of the old fitness does come back quite quickly and whether successful in scoring an animal or not it is just so awe inspiring to hunt in these areas and there is always the anticipation of that trophy appearing in range. I hope you do get back to NZ later in the year and always glad to share with fellow hunters, after all there is plenty of room for all.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com