kamilaroi
(.400 member)
08/09/11 08:02 PM
Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

OK I take the bait.

To answer these in turn.

The Fierce snake is well named. I have several accounts of pursuit from folk around Tiboburra and Cunnamulla (Kunjamulla). Several folk (Cogger et al)consider that it as a recently classsified genus and species (Parademensia microlepidopa) and congeneric with the Taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus). Incidentally their ranges overlap. There are other species that approximate their appearance thus ID is difficult.

There are several species, namely the above, the Taipan, Fierce snake, Eastern brown, Mulga snake whose generic colour and size lead to misidentification.

The behaviour of some varies according to season and FWIW I have had eastern browns transit a campsite without displaying aggro. Most species are not specifically territorial though some exhibit such at mating.

I do not collect since abt 1968 as my locstat states I live in a high density suburb. I am called to relocate from time to time and as the NSW regs are a pain I have relinquished my collection some years back. FWIW the regs here and IMO are consistent across all State jurisdictions.

John,

iN youR area there are at least 3 species known as "brown snakes" thay are all large and dangerous.

They (and others)are:

Mulga (King Brown)snake;Pseudechis australis
Western Brown snake (Gwardar): Pseudonaja nuchalis
Eastern Brown snake; Pseudonaja textilis
Myall?Curl snake; Suta suta

and maybe a Dugite; Pseudonaja affinis (though this is uncertain)

LET'S FACE IT WE ALL HAVE DISCRETE KNOWLEDGE ON NATURE THAT IS BEST SHARED.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com