kamilaroi
(.400 member)
07/09/11 07:00 AM
Re: SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Mike,

The species is the Western Brown or Fierce snake. It grows to abt 3 metres and attacks without provocation. As it can do abt 20KMH over rough ground then it's prudent to keep well clear. Range is western plains, channel country (irregular creeks) and savannah grasslands over abt 1/12 of the continent. A similar species the Taipan (Tai Pan?) grows to abt 4 metres but isn't as aggressive but the range is from rainforest to plains and grasslands over abt 1/6 of the north.

The family Elapidae here are number abt 70 are the most numerous and all poisonous, though most are mildly so.

We usually don't get too worried abt the dangers, but prudent behaviour is the norm. Thus a solution is that any brownish species longer than 2 feet is a risk (excepting pythons which are easily identified). I reckon that sea creatures pose a bigger risk. Google "Irukandji" for a guide.

303, I don't know of a Sombre WS but only the common yellow eyed species around s/e Oz. I do believe that at least one species is rated as dangerous to deadly.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com