EzineAdministrator
(.333 member)
31/08/04 01:18 AM
Water Buff hunt at Gan Gan - Day 3

*** View threaded ***

"Water Buffalo Hunt at Gan Gan" - Day 3

With my buffalo down, it was Steve's turn to find a buffalo.

But first it was necessary to deal with my trophy from the previous day. The skull and horns was placed in a drum of boiling water to remove the flesh from the skull and allow the horns to be separated from the bony core. Some more work on the cape and more salt applied.

Then pack into the Landcruiser some fuel, pumps and stuff and off to a new area to hunt for Steve's bull. At Gan Gan they try to not over-hunt each area, spreading the hunting activity so the buffalo do not become alarmed to vehicles and humans. With new animals wandering into the hunted areas this appears to work. The buffalo most jumpy are actually the cows and calfs - as usual.

The route this time ran past the airstrip where clients are usually picked-up from their flight from Nhulubuy, and then we drove on past the blackfella township of Gan Gan to the banks of a lovely inviting river. Looks like a great place to cool off on a hot day but crocs lurk in its quiet waters. But no doubt great fishing for those persons who set aside time for this activity.

Cool beautiful river

Part of the operation at Gan Gan is to navigate the waterways and wetlands. These cut the dry land in a number of places and in order to reduce unnecessary travelling time, hunting vehicles are pre-positioned on the far sides of rivers and billabongs with boats providing access to them. A great idea to cut out hours of unproductive driving.

Steve and John provide 'ballast' for the bow

"Captain Matt"

Into the boat and easily across to the other sides, two mighty "hunting cars" await. One is fuelled up, the gear loaded into it and away we go again. Steve sits in the cab so Matt and he can discuss any bulls seen. I don't mind. I am getting a free ride out in the sun, in a beautiful place almost untouched by man.

"Hunting cars"

Cows and calves are seen, and some immature bulls. Further along another herd, this one is aware of us and has at least an older bull among the cows. Now following it on foot Steve and Matt close in on it and the rest of the herd. Thick creepers and thorn bushes screen most of the buffalo from us less than fifty metres in front. A cow snorts and away the herd runs, the only sight of the bull is its rump as it also runs.

We continue driving along the low ridge passing the carcase of a buffalo shot by a previous client but out we get when a good bull is seen. I tag along behind sometimes at a distance so as to not disturb the animals with an extra person.

This bull is wandering along the edge of the river bank while we shadow him in the trees. We loose him in the thick scrub but I sight him further back from where we expected him to be and quickly signal the boys up front. No chance for a shot here, there are way too many tree trunks in between. The bull settles down into the mud for a rest and we leave him to return to camp before it is too dark.

Are there crocodiles in this river? Our torches pick up three different sets of eyes on the return "cruise".

'Pyro-man' ignites a parndarna which quickly bursts into spectacular flame

Copyright 2004 - all rights reserved

Contact Us NitroExpress.com