tophet1
(.400 member)
16/06/11 09:03 AM
Skull Cap Finished

With a few trips planned this year I didn't want to divert funds towards taxidermy, so decided on a Skull Cap mount for the Red Deer I shot in April in New Zealand.

The shield mount came from a Western Australian sports trophy company and is also available in jarra colouring. Self tapping screws were used from behind the shield to screw into holes I'd pre-drilled in the shield and skull. The skull was bleached in a 50/50 soulution of household bleach and water but did not quite reach the top of the pedicals. I left the antlers stained to differentiate them from the clear white antlers you often find on farm raised animals. Looks more natural too

This method also allowed me to bring the antlers home (after a thourough boiling and scrubbing) as excess baggage (A$70).

I had been quoted A$1,000 for someone to prep, pack and do the paper work for the antlers and cape to be sent to Australia and then taxidermy on top of that. I'd rather spend my disposable income on hunting.

I will be useing this method of getting my momentoes (including future African trips) home from overseas from now on.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com