Ripp
(.577 member)
17/08/10 12:51 AM
Re: Possibilities .243Win caliber hunting.

One of my favorite calibers that can do many different things depending on what and how you load for it...

Have loaded mine with 70 gr Ballistic tips with a mv of around 3550--works great on Prairie dogs and coyotes..have also used that same load for antelope many times ---have made shots one them using this load at slightly over 400 yards--please remember though, in my experience and the dozens I have shot, antelope die fairly easily..not even close to the same class as elk..

Have also used it on black bear--while I don't consider it an ideal caliber for black bear--again bullet selection and placement are important as always..--worked fine and also one shot as well...

Have a ranch client that has used only a .243 on elk for over 25 years---again, DON'T think this is the perfect caliber for game this size . Shot placement and bullet selection are critical..IMHO...--elk are very tough...and can travel for miles if not hit properly--personally for elk I use either a 300 Win, 300 Ultra or 338 Ultra..extremely effective..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com