eagle27
(.400 member)
06/08/10 08:33 PM
Re: Tahr hunting in Westland New Zealand

Quote:

I've made one inquiry so far but can anyone tell me what the going rate for choppers to take you and bring you out is - per person or as a whole? Also, how much stuff do they let you take?

- Paul

Paul, I've out of touch with costs for a chopper but it is usually based on a per hour charge all up. From where James's chopper base is, if that is where you start from, then it is only 15 odd minutes flying time to get into the chammy and tahr areas on the Westland side of the Alps. It will take you a good days tramp to get into these same areas so by using a chopper you will have almost a couple of extra days hunting and also not wear yourself out getting in to the hunting area. Divide the cost of the chopper up amongst two or three shooters and it works out pretty reasonable, plus you can take in a few luxuries that you otherwise wouldn't carry in.

Once flown in you set up camp and then set off hunting at your own pace without that gut buster to get in and out before you even start hunting. As I say, I'm not sure on cost, but for the 500D would be up round $1000 an hour now. Can easily take take three or four passengers and gear.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com