NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/03/10 02:21 AM
Re: The Water Buffalo Thread

Another DOK buffalo.

Another buffalo, this time taken with my Ruger in 416 Rigby using 410gr Woodleigh SN

This was a good buffalo as I walked in on it after seeing it from about 300 metres away. When I was about 100 metres, it spotted me and sniffed the air and then trotted about 15 metres towards me with it's head held high. From the time it spotted me, it didn't take it's eyes off me.

I stayed still for about 30 seconds and tried to get a bit closer as there was a fair bit of trees and scrub between me and the buff. I walked about 15 metres and the buff didn't like this so he started to shake it's head from side to side and suddenly trotted another 10 or 15 metres. I was getting a little concerned as I was by myself (I know you should go hunting with other people but just sometimes you can't). The buff continued to walk closer until it was about 35 to 40 metres, staring straight at me. I was hoping it would turn side on so I could get a good heart / lung shot but this buffalo wasn't about to play the game and there was a stale-mate happening. It looked like the buff was getting a bit more pissed off and after what seemed like ages (about 30 seconds I guess), I decided to end the stand off and I took aim just below the horns on the front of the head and as the buffalo held his head still, I fired. The bull dropped where it stood.

I have to agree with the previous posts, if you are going to be walking in on buffs (and personally it's the best way for hunting enjoyment) you don't want anything smaller than .40 cal. These big Bulls can take a huge amount of punishment.

From this discussion thread - click here.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com