paradox_
(.375 member)
08/05/09 12:15 PM
Re: NZ hunt with Wilderness Quest New Zealand

Nitro,
Your point about first hand knowledge.
My point was actually that there are no sheep, wild or otherwise in the wilderness areas of New Zealand, except for the odd fringe of forest park that borders a sheep farm. The main reason for this is that these un musterable domestic animals, often heavy with wool and noisy dags dont fair well in difficult bush terrain.
I have in fact seen more than most under these circumstances. Further, at no time did I use the word " tame" when describing them. Have I in years gone by shot the odd one for the table?, yes of course, but at no time did I consider them a "game animal". or that I was doing nothing more than shooting domestic stock that the cockie couldnt catch or muster.
My rather impolite ( admitted) comment to CF was initiated out of fruastration that we as hunters have convinced ourselves that shooting domestic animals bred for wool and meat is hunting. Have we come to this?
My apologies to all, but sheep in New Zealand , Arapawa or otherwise are not Game Animals.

You ask if shooting sheep on preserves is anyone elses business. Not sure if you are saying its none of mine of not, but really its all our busines. Lets remember that as the anti hunters see more and more of this, what you call canned hunting the more ammunition they have, the more lazy we become and the more at risk our sport becomes.
There was very recently such a exposure involving a huge canned red stag and an overweight foreign visitor that made the press in NZ. Are these the standards you refer to and do you personally condone this type of hunting?

You call NZ the long white can. Lets not forget that in that country there exists some of the finest wild deer hunting in some of the finest wild places to be had just about anywhere, and you know what its practically free. Why then are we discussing sheep shooting in the back of the cockies farm?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com