GG375
(.333 member)
09/02/09 05:28 PM
Re: Our family Chital Deer hunt in 2008.

Guys

As Marrakai mentioned, Chital were apparently roaming parts of Victoria in 1862/63. Col Allisons book "The Hunters Manual of Australia and New Zealand" makes mention of some in Tassy in 1829 and as early as 1802 west of Sydney.

I think it would be fair to say that the Queensland herd would probably be the most successful wild and free ranging herd in Australia at present. They were originally pets around the homestead on Maryvale station around 1886 and have since radiated outwards. The property I hunt on is a neighbour of Maryvale and would have to easily hold several thousand animals I would think.

John, I have a good mate who has hunted on Water Valley and from his description I know what you mean. He hunted Fallow and Red and from what he told me it certainly wasn’t a walk in the park.

How to fit 4 on a quad? These photos might explain. I had an alloy tray made up and bolted it to the original rack. Jennie and I sit on the seat and the boys sit on the alloy rack. Behind them are 3 storage partitions under a torneau cover I made up. I keep all sorts of survival stuff and essentials in these as we tend to get into some pretty isolated places up here on the Cape. And a stainless 16 litre water tank on the front rack under the rifle racks. It works well.

I’m glad you all liked the story. I enjoyed writing it and would like to do a few more as time permits. We are firm believers in the old “the family that plays together, stays together” philosophy, and have our older kids from Jennies first marriage as proof that it works – our older boys have families and jobs in Brisbane but still come home for a hunt with the old man whenever they can! I might just have to get another quad soon – and then a different trailer to transport them both – and then probably a more powerful vehicle to tow with – oh dear ……it’s never ending!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com