Marrakai
(.416 member)
21/12/08 11:03 PM
Re: get the goose!

Well the season has probably just ended for me, with more of a whimper than a bang!

I will be busy this week and caught up with family obligations Christmas to New Year, so I snuck out to the swamp yesterday for a 'last hurrah'.

It was risky as we are in the middle of a serious monsoon at the moment as a result of Cyclone Billy to our south-west. Although I checked the 128km weather radar at 5am and reckoned I had the next 'gap' timed perfectly, I arrived at Harrison Dam in the middle of a tropical down-pour seemingly without end. I grabbed another hour's shut-eye in the cab of the Landrover before it finally eased, and by about 7am the weather lifted. Only one other party had braved the elements, Col McT_ and his mates, who headed along the wall while I sloshed out across the floodplain to the north-east.

Very few birds were flying, but I could hear geese honking on the wind so plodded hopefully on. Soon I reached a point where an air-boat would be needed to continue, but the birds were still a kilometre away across the 'inland sea'. A few whistle-ducks were starting to move around though, and by heading back towards the dam slowly and taking up positions behind the odd bush I was able to bag three for 5 shots, including a very satisfying right-and-left on a lone pair.

Cooked one up for dinner last night, but ate most of it for lunch today. Marvellous.

The season continues till the Sunday after Christmas, so I hope the weather improves and a few birds start flighting again for those with more time on their hands than me.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com