NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
10/03/04 11:53 AM
Re: Do Aussie hunters waste game meat?

Yes I waste feral pork too which I also find a shame as I love pork and also love eating true wild boar (in Europe). I wonder if with some of our ferals if the meat isn't becoming gamier?

I do understand that it is possible to harvest younger animals with more safety as to potential diseases.

Also maybe we need to educate ourselves as to what to look for. There was a feral pork / game meat processor at Walgett which we drove past when going into town. You could buy wild pork from it and we should have visited it to see what is involved.

I read more and more about Southern pig hunters only shooting 4 or 5 pigs on a trip. I think making use of a nice meat animal may become more important over time to justify the trip (and more time to deal with the meat as well).

DID YOU KNOW IT IS ACTUALLY ILLEGAL TO TRANSPORT THE FERAL MEAT OVER STATE BORDERS?!

I didn't.

When hunting feral goats I always try to shoot one or two nice younger animals for meat. There is nothing wrong with non-old-billys and the meat tastes like mutton. A medium sized youngster when dressed and quartered fits into an 'esky' with ice easily. Room to spare. No excuses with goats for not utilizing at least some of the meat.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com