(.375 member)
28/06/13 10:25 PM
First Hunt with Fat Lady

I purchased the Fat Lady from Marraki, couldt wait to shoot it and when the time came I wasnt too sure on how I was going to go. The .577 2 3/4 case was a bit intimidating. Tony put a couple thru the rifle and then I had a go. It wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Shot a couple okay and pulled a couple so I would have to work on shooting this rifle. I was pretty nervous shooting in front of other people.
Sale was completed and Marraki was generous enough to load me some shells for a hunt whilst I wait for my components to arrive from the states, and woodleigh.
Heres some pics of my first hunt with the double this arvo. Cheers Mick
First shot at game sow at 25m.
Big scrubber 2 shots second not needed. recovered projectile from first shot in the off side after breaking shoulder.

DarylS
(.700 member)
28/06/13 11:49 PM
Re: First Hunt with Fat Lady

COOL!

According to the data, 1,650fps with 650gr. are the standard BP loading ballisitics for the .577 BPE, IIRC from Greener's book.
There are MANY letters to Greener (reprinted in "The Gun") from owners of Greener .577 BPE's, back prior to 1910. It was the killer of all killers on the 'Dark Continent' of all African game.
What a BLAST form the past!
Well done Mick.

Marrakai
(.416 member)
29/06/13 10:42 AM

Bastard!!!

Congratulations Mick.
I should have charged extra for the good luck that seems to travel with this rifle!

transvaal
(.300 member)
29/06/13 11:17 AM

Mick;

Nice work lad.

Appears you have a nice to tool to reduce the population of large 4 footed beast of the bush.

Transvaal.

tophet1
(.400 member)
29/06/13 01:37 PM

Bloody hell Mick, moving up in the world ..... What next ?

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
29/06/13 04:14 PM

Nice work fella!

tinker
(.416 member)
29/06/13 05:37 PM

Nice!

Glad to see this rifle in your field report.
Run the hell out of it.

Cheers
Tinker

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
30/06/13 10:43 PM

Well done Mick.

Good to see the "Fat Lady" has found a good new home. Congratulations.

I think we see the FL getting a lot of use in future posts.

PS I shot that rifle with Marrakai at the range once, and it is intimidating to shoot such a big cartridge for the first time.

Must have got over that though as I volunteered to shoot a .577 3" at the Heym Challenge this year for the whole competition ... but had to down grade to .450/400, when told the .577 wasn't allowed for scoring .... my shoulder said thank you.

Good luck with it.

gwh
(.333 member)
12/07/13 05:42 PM

Great stuff Mick, very nice to see such a nice rifle doing what it was built for.

eljefedouble
(.300 member)
14/07/13 02:30 PM

very Impressive ,Mick
keep on doin it

Contact Us NitroExpress.com