Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns
      #68961 - 06/01/07 11:38 PM

To all:

Excuse me for posting a non-DR thread! I'm not stirring the pot here. This is a topic I really want info on.

I do some bolt guns too. Until Winchester exhaled its last breath the M70 Classic was my "go-to" bolt gun. I felt Winchester made a gift to the world when it re-introduced the pre-64 design in it's Classic action. In some ways it is better than the actual pre-64, e.g. the bolt guide along the right side of the action.

I have heard others say their quality control was spotty, but my experience has been only positive. With a slight amount of tinkering I was able to get their rifles running flawlessly. My experience with their accuracy is nothing but good. Right now I have three of these rifles in the toybox. Be that as it may, the run of CRF M70's is over. I mourn its passage.

The question in my mind now is, "What is the choice to make now?" I'm not talking about custom guns. I'm basically thinking of production guns that retail for less than US$1,000.

So where do I look if I find the need for another bolt gun?

Thanks,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns [Re: CptCurl]
      #68966 - 07/01/07 01:57 AM

I'm not sure about now, but the Remington 700 is a great rifle for the money. I have a 1981 700 BDL 7 mm Mag that shoots a 5 shot sub-MOA group.

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #68977 - 07/01/07 03:27 AM

I stick with Model 70s. Even with just the 'Classic' version, USRAC produced about 400,000 copies, so there are plenty of them to go around, and they tend to wear out very slowly, with many of them never being so much as fired outside of factory proof-tesing. There were over 581,000 pre-64s produced, and well over a million push-feed Model 70s produced. So these aren't rare guns, and they're out there, waiting to be used. All you have to do is become resourceful enough to find them. Aftermarket replacement parts are also readily obtainable.

Plus, I think that in the not-too-dstance future Browning (via FN) will be producing the Model 70 once again, and it's quite possible that it'll be an even better rifle than the USRAC product was.

They're hard at it right now, in fact, turning out innovative new guns wearing the Winchester logo, and I believe they're just getting warmed up:

www.winchester-guns.com

Other than that, there's Ruger, Sako, Weatherby, and Kimber, and for the most part, they're good rifles. Older Remington 700s (built through the late 1980s) are also extremely good, and there are hundreds of thousands of them on the secondary market, many of them little-used, and in mint condition.

For my own use, though, I'm a model 70 man for life.........

AD

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #68980 - 07/01/07 04:26 AM

Among the newer guns that I have seen several Remingtons that that had uneven inletting (on the wood stocked rifles.) If this was apparent to my definitely inexpert eye, I am sure an experienced hunter would find much more that was the result of poor quality control.

The new Kimbers are very, very nice guns. I guess they want to enter the market that Winchester had until FN pulled out recently. Some of my friends have the budget priced Savage 110 rifles and they also shoot very nicely.

I hope to buy a Kimber in the future with the wood stock.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #68983 - 07/01/07 06:04 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only true longterm CRF rifle among the Winchester,Ruger,Remington,Sako,Savage, Weatherby bunch is going to be the Win and the Ruger until the new Rem mauser action becomes widespread.

I don't like the Ruger because of the spring used with the trigger unit.I generally replace these with an aftermarket trigger.Ruger's accuracy can vary as well.

Remington has quality issues although I must say the rifle I have from their custom shop is excellent and a tackdriver.

A good Win 70 with CRF is pure satisfaction with a great trigger, being a joy to shoot and mostly what I carry in the western states hunting big game.

The Kimbers and Dakotas are nice but pricey because of their appearance.The Win 70 just gets the job done.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

333Jeffery
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/06
Loc: Florida
      #68996 - 07/01/07 09:08 AM

I have several CZ-550's, best bolt-guns for the money. Claw-extraction, forged-steel receiver and one-piece bolt, hammer-forged barrels, wonderful triggers, and very nice wood stocks. All for about $700. Excellent customer service, too. www.cz-usa.com
The CZ-527 is nice if you just want a "knockaround" gun.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns [Re: 333Jeffery]
      #69216 - 10/01/07 09:57 AM

Most bang for the buck is in my opinion the CZ550's. I have been using Mdl 70's since gunsmith school in the 50'2 and they are absolutely my all time pick but I also like the CZ's and currently have a 375 602 and a 416Rigby 550 and have absolutely NO complaints about them. I do like the older 602 stocks better than the 550 but that's just a personal fit thing on the factory stock. As a big bore I actually believe they are a better basis for building a custom rifle. In the final analysis it is really a personal thing.

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns [Re: zimhunter]
      #69235 - 10/01/07 04:08 PM

Personal preference--

I Don't like the safety on my BRNO 602 at all!!
If my hand slides forward with recoil/slippage I can activate the safety by mistake.
Luv the gun but the safety has gotta be changed-its a deathtrap with DG. I feel safeties should turn OFF when pushed forward.

--------------------

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns [Re: hoppdoc]
      #69251 - 10/01/07 10:09 PM

What is the experience with Kimber bolt guns? I have never owned or shot one. I read some reports of spotty quality control. There's also the issue of older production compared to newer production under the reorganized company. Frankly, I'm not even familiar with the current prices of the Kimbers.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #69381 - 12/01/07 08:32 PM

I have a strong personal preference for Mauser actions. I have little faith in slam feed actions. Today, this puts the 550 CZ in top spot.
: I had no trouble with touching the safety from recoil or slippage. If I did not have faith in any part of the gun, I'd not use it for DG and that most certainly includes G. bears. That is why I took the .458 Alaskan barrel off the Model 70 Magnum slamn feed and am putting it on an #4 Enfield for my guide gun.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

MDSpencer
.224 member

Reged: 03/11/06
Loc: Standish, MI. USA
Re: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns [Re: DarylS]
      #69707 - 18/01/07 08:06 AM

Just a note, Ruger is coming out with a adjustable trigger.

HighlandStalker
.224 member

Reged: 13/01/07
Loc: Christchurch, NZ
Re: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns [Re: MDSpencer]
      #69712 - 18/01/07 09:44 AM

I have a remy 700 and I do not particularly like it.
It shoots ok but not fantastically, overall it feels rather cheap.
It would shoot well and would be a good rifle if I spent some money on a replacement trigger unit, MacMillan stock etc. but for the money I think I will just replace it with a new rifle.

I was thinking of a steyr mannlicher prohunter, synthetic stocked (I don't particularly like the stock style though)and come factory threaded for a sound moderator (legal and widely used in the UK)
The older mannlichers are nice very smooth actioned rifles and highly thought of here.

Anyone used one of the recent mannlichers?? Any Good??

hoppdoc
.400 member

Re: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns [Re: HighlandStalker]
      #69720 - 18/01/07 10:37 AM

My preference for bolt guns would be the CRF Winchester first and then the CRF Ruger because of the trigger.

If I am in the West or Alaska with the possibilty of large game the Winchester goes. Push feeds don't cut it on certain hunts. I like synthetic stocks and lighter weights in the mountains so I don't want a fancy Dakota or Kimber.I have no doubt the CZ's can be good guns but I have heard problems with their quality control.

I do have a reworked interarms mauser action in a synthetic stock that feeds effortlessly.I really enjoy that gun.

--------------------

XnHunter
.224 member

Reged: 11/01/07
Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Re: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns [Re: hoppdoc]
      #70136 - 25/01/07 06:09 AM

Just curious, but what is everyone's opinion of Browning A-Bolts?

I have a Stainless Stalker in .300 WM and I like it. But admittedly I have little knowledge of other Bolt guns. Please feel free to give me your honest opinions and don't worry about hurting my feelings . If you think Brownings suck, tell me and let me know why.

Thanks in advance.

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns [Re: XnHunter]
      #72841 - 01/03/07 12:45 PM

In my big game hunting career i've used Rem. 700's the most. They have always been reliable for me and i never worried about one failing even when crawling through the alders, brown bearing hunting.

When i built my "go to" brown bear rifle, i chose a 700 Rem. action to build it on, and i've never regretted it...

DM

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #72866 - 01/03/07 07:01 PM

I don't know, I kinda like my RSM's a whole bunch. I'm now getting into Whitworths as well. I picked up a Whitworth in a 458 WinMag and haven't fired it as I'm waiting for some 450gr 458 solids to load up for dummy rounds to send to my smith for a little pre-emptive work. I'm adding an extra crossbolt and maybe one between the mag box and the trigger, then glass bed it and add a new recoil pad for it. He's also going to make sure it feed NF solids and cuppoints. I may also have him give me a trigger job along with smoothing up the action. It ain't a RSM but I couldn't resist picking the thing up.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #72878 - 02/03/07 03:29 AM

Curl,

The Kimbers ( www.KimberAmerica.com) list for $1200 (syn stock) to $1900 (Super Grade wood). The syn stocks can be bought for under $1000 on gunbroker. "IF" I ever get around to buying an new production rifle it will probably be a Kimber.

Most of us have our own favorites and IMHO the best gun values are on the used/secondary market.

gmsemel
.224 member

Reged: 08/11/05
Loc: East Haddam, CT
Re: Opinions on Current Production Bolt Guns [Re: AzGuy]
      #72919 - 02/03/07 04:33 PM

I think you can't go wrong with a Ruger M-77 Mk II, I was looking at a new one the other day in 375 Ruger. I thought it was a very well thought out and made. Granted It was just a few minutes look over at the Gunshop. Ruger did a nice job. Besides the scope mounts are about as bullet proof as you can get. I am going to buy one in 375 Ruger just as soon as ammo starts showing up.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4407

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com