Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Thompson Center TCR 83

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Thompson Center TCR 83
      #330535 - 25/07/19 09:50 AM

Anyone here ever have one of these?
I have a one coming my way with 30-06 and 22-250 barrels.
It's the Aristocrat model, with the double set trigger.

I've handled it a bit and it feels good to me. Fits and handles nice.
I've heard complaints about the ergonomics at the wrist and triggers, but I think those complaints might be based on the experiences of fellows with short and or fat fingers.

I'm hoping to get to shoot it in the coming days, and I'm especially interested in seeing how the 22-250 barrel works out as I don't have a rifle in that cartridge.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Iowa_303s
.400 member

Reged: 22/03/13
Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: Thompson Center TCR 83 [Re: tinker]
      #330536 - 25/07/19 11:43 AM

Several years ago I found one in 22 hornet at my LGS. It felt good in my hands.
Unfortunately I did not have the funds available at the time.

--------------------
Matt

formerly known as Iowa_303

"Once your reputation is ruined you can live your life quite freely."

"Enkelkinder über alles"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Thompson Center TCR 83 [Re: Iowa_303s]
      #330537 - 25/07/19 12:53 PM

https://www.gunsamerica.com/910733690/Thompson-Center-TCR-83-Aristocrat-4-Barrel-se.htm

tinker
.416 member

Re: Thompson Center TCR 83 [Re: NitroX]
      #330548 - 25/07/19 02:50 PM

Yes John, that's the model of rifle.

This one is in basically as new condition and it's set up with two very useful calibers for me here out West.

It's an early production piece with super nice finish and a very good trigger.

Hopefully I'll be able to give a report from the bench and/or the field this weekend.

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #330551 - 25/07/19 03:17 PM

Hi Tinker, I liked them when they first came out. Never really liked the look of the popular Thompson Contender pistol, also the chamberings for the Contender.

I think I was turned off by the TCR back in the 1980's by the "ho hum" chamberings it came out in. The good old standard .308, and family of cartridges. That was how they were advertised in Australia.

I do like the switch barrels rifles. And a single shot in a good 'magnum' chambering can have a longer barrel, and also be a lighter rifle. Good as a mountain hunting rifle.

I would consider one in a 6.5x68mm.

Now some questions.

That model of TCR has since been superseded by one or more models,what are the latter models like in comparison? Also are TCR's in some form still made?

Can barrels from the different models be interchanged?

Can you have custom barrels made for them? By someone? Or can existing barrels be modified?

How hard is it to source old barrels for these? I see from net pics, some owners have multiple barrels with theirs?

For my Tikka/Valmet shotgun, combination, double rifle, it was not that hard to source barrels. Especially from within the USA. Is that now closed off with Obama's laws? In Australia, the barrels often went off within a day of beiung advertised.

Last question, is .300 Blackout available in the TCR or Handgun?

Just interested. Hopefully not hijacking your thread!!

Looking forward to hearing about how your rifle goes and performs.

Double set triggers should aid accurate shooting. I use the set trigger even on my .404. Not for hunting though. It is too light when the adrenalin is pumping.

.22/250 and .30-06 make too useful cartridges and a good range for a two barrel set rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tinker
.416 member

Re: Thompson Center TCR 83 [Re: NitroX]
      #330554 - 25/07/19 04:03 PM

The rifle has been discontinued. It was out of production when the Thompson Center Custom Shop burned to the ground.
It never came back.

The newer model, the TCR 87 was very much the same but with an updated locking bolt in the receiver. It would handle the more mighty Magnum chamberings.
Barrels were interchangeable anyway. I believe the 83 could (then) be retrofitted with the newer bolt.

The barrels are a pressed and pinned fit into a monoblock.
There were noted shops doing custom aftermarket barrels which come up for sale from time to time. Existing factory barrels can be rebored/chambered for whatever would be applicable. Also the factory barrel can be pressed or bored out of the monoblock.
Although I don't know of anyone building new monoblocks for the system, I can do this and have the tools etc for the work. I'm not concerned about the prospect of burning out a barrel. If I do I'll be fine.

Export of most firearms related equipment has gotten very complicated via ITAR. I have basically quit thinking about it. Too much trouble for me at the moment.

If I can scrounge some dies and brass in the next couple days I'll have something to share here for the weekend.

:-)

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

#330594 - 26/07/19 01:04 PM

Found some 22-250 dies.
Found some brass...

This weekend holds a bit of promise for results.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #330615 - 27/07/19 02:13 AM

Too bad I don't live down that way. I've got about 400 rounds of .22-250 brass and ammo and no rifle for it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

tinker
.416 member

Re: Thompson Center TCR 83 [Re: DarylS]
      #330627 - 27/07/19 12:57 PM

I'd happily put that pile of stuff to use!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#330636 - 28/07/19 07:05 AM

I expect you would. Just going through my big brass bin about 20 minutes ago and came up with another plastic can of .22-250 Win. brass - might be 200 in it. Have a couple sets of dies including a set of RCBS BR dies in the RCBS wooden box.

I've gone to 6.5mm with the Varberger 6.5x55 and .260 I built, along with my Sako L1 in .222 for small bore rifles. I also have a couple 17cal. barrels for a CZ action, .17Rem and .17AckImp.
Just picked up a combination gun from Tradeexcanada. It's a 12 bore imp. mod. choke on top and .222 Rem. on the bottom. Angelo Zoli is the maker's name.
Both tubes are in good shape, but I haven't fired either yet.

--------------------
Daryl

tinker
.416 member

#330639 - 28/07/19 09:03 AM

I got a bit of time to fiddle with the rifle.
The 30 caliber barrel had a good bit of copper in the bore. I'm working on that with foaming bore cleaner. It's coming out in a midnight blue color.

The 22-250 barrel is a 1:12 twist. That's good.
After getting the FL die set up for headspace on the shoulder, I looked around the bookcase for load data.
I'd sat down with Pet Loads and saw the notes on 748 powder for 55gr bullets. I had a box of 55gr V-Max bullets and worked into a moderate load that wasn't moving the brass around too much. I'm at just about .001 stretch per sizing.

With dinner coming up soon I called it a day with a 200 meter zero. I'll get the chronograph out tomorrow or later in the week to see how fast that load is going.

For now I'm pleased with these first steps.

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

#330676 - 29/07/19 10:15 AM

Had a bit of time today.

Looking through Modern Reloading at the pressure estimates for 55gr spitzer loads I saw something for IMR 4831
The start and max loads were the same figure, at 39.5 grains.
The pressure was one of the lowest of all the loads at about 46,000 psi, and velocity was listed at something over 3300fps

Seemed interesting, figured I'd give it a try.
Impacts appeared to be touching on the 200 yard steel plate, one small black dot on the white painted square.

This ends up being a full case of powder to the base of the bullet, and I have a couple of cans of this powder on the shelf. We'll see how it goes.

Something about the rifle.
These TC break open rifles can have different headspace between whatever barrels you have. Production rifles - but there's a way to adjust headspace by unscrewing the breech face and shimming behind the block. Of course a handloader can get there with an adjustment of the dies too.

I have fourteen loads through one piece of brass, which I started out by expanding the neck with a .243 expander button then putting it through the adjusted FL die.
I'm set up for about .001"+ headspace and I'm trimming about .001" after each subsequent pass through the loading process.

If I don't go this route I end up with excessive case stretch on the first loading. With this Hornady brass (which I'm not loving) the first shot on brass without the false shoulder on the neck gets me about .010" case stretch.
Subsequent loads with this low pressure load are about .001" growth, but I'll be starting the rest of this brass off with the false shoulder for maximum case life.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#330678 - 29/07/19 10:46 AM

Absolutely, brass lasts much longer, stretching way less, if it is fitted to the chamber before fire forming,ie: false shoulder for zero headspace.

--------------------
Daryl

tinker
.416 member

#330693 - 30/07/19 10:26 AM

Picked up a box of the Speer 70gr #1053 to try with Alliant 2000mr powder.
I've had excellent results with this powder in other heavy bullet for caliber applications, where I see little pressure signs, strong velocity, consistent speed, and great accuracy.
Alliant lists this particular bullet in their suggested data for the caliber and powder.

First impression is good so far. I'll get it over the chronograph later in the week.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#330694 - 30/07/19 11:13 AM

H380 was the old standard for 55gr. in the .22-250. That was Bruce's load - 38.0gr.
spome of the guys I knew back in the 70's used the 70gr. Speer for Vanvouver Island deer in their .222 3-position Match rifles.
Others just used 50gr Speer spitzers. Pretty much didn't matter with side head shots, but the 70's were good for lung shots - according to those old WW11 pilots. I miss those guys.

--------------------
Daryl

tinker
.416 member

#333040 - 05/10/19 01:07 PM

I've had a bit of time with the 70gr Speer bullet.

I'm currently into a Varget load that is showing good promise.
I shot a group yesterday in the wind that printed a horizontal line of impacts, less than .100 vertical dispersion.

Tonight at dusk I sent one of those on to a 1" target marker, printing dead on vertically, less than 1/4" off the center of the marker.
Good cold barrel zero. This load has the brass growing about .001" after going through the sizing die.

More to follow, but very good so far.

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

#333487 - 16/10/19 01:34 PM

I found a very nice 243 (6x52) barrel, looking new with Leupold base and rings. These rifles use a special base. Nice to get one with the barrel.

I had no brass here for it, so I rummaged through the shop and found a 30 or so year old time capsule in a plastic cartridge box. There were 50 handloads with 100gr Sierra spitzers. The brass was dark, some cases were cracked.
I pulled the bullets, dumped the clumped powder, pushed the primers out, and set the cases into wet stainless media for a tumble then annealed the necks.

I had another box of pulled bullets, 100gr Hornady Interlock flat base spitzers. I managed to save 27 of those cases and loaded them for about 27-2800 fps to see how the rifle would shoot.

With fresh white paint on the 200 meter steel and a few minutes in the middle of the day I got to see that load putting bullet on top of bullet today.
Got a fresh box of Nosler brass for it later while in town and now I'm good to make a solid load for it when I find more time.

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

#333870 - 27/10/19 01:51 AM

I had some time to work on the rifle.

This model is the Aristocrat, with double set trigger.
The forward trigger is a bit farther forward than it perhaps should be, somewhat of a reach. This is a common complaint of the design. Also the safety, a cross bolt at the forward end of the trigger guard, has an additional pushbutton safety catch which needs to be depressed while pushing off the safety bolt. It's awkward.

These ergonomic issues have been mostly OK at the bench, but would detract from the natural use of the rifle in the field. These are source for the most common complaints about the TCR 83 Aristocrat and TCR 87 rifles - set trigger reach and funky safety.

Similarly to the Contender and Encore systems, headspace can vary from rifle to rifle and barrel to barrel. Unlike the high grade Austrian and German Kipplauf rifles that we all covet, these Thompson Center guns were made to a pretty low price point, and most of them exhibit excessive headspace. Handloaders understand this and the common practice is to handle the issue at the loading bench.

The TCR rifles feature a hardened standing breech face which threads into the action. This hardened insert contains the striker. I decided to address the headspace on this rifle via making a special steel spacer washer shim for this insert. I had to make a special tool to remove the breech face insert, and I had to fit the shim, but it was worth the effort.

While I was in the action, I had the set trigger apart and moved the trigger bow as far back as I could while still allowing room for a finger to actuate the rearward set trigger. I deleted the secondary safety catch button while I was in there.
The ergonomics are much better now.

I'm glad I took the time to address these things,

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#333875 - 27/10/19 04:06 AM

Not sure what the action looks like and work you are doing on it, is, however, it certainly is interesting.
My .243 brass is now being converted to .260 Rem., just at the time I am thinking of opening up that chamber to 6.5x68.

--------------------
Daryl

tinker
.416 member

#333891 - 27/10/19 12:33 PM

Daryl

I really need to jump start my old photo hosting account.
I've been up to a great deal of interesting work that I'd like to share here for perusal and critique.

I can text you images of the action and the route I took to get the trigger bow further back in the guard.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#333896 - 27/10/19 01:43 PM

Looks great!
Now, you have to post the pictures here. LOL.

--------------------
Daryl

Yukon577
.224 member

Reged: 11/03/08
Loc: Yukon Territory
      #336710 - 17/01/20 10:26 AM

Hi Guys,
I've been playing with the TCR 83 for a few years now, have had three recievers, still have two on-hand. If someone is in Canada and wants one, get in touch.

I am quite fond of the action and especially the interchangable barrels. The double set trigger is quite the aid to help accuracy while you still have the hunting trigger pull if you have some quick action while in the field, or the set trigger if circumstances allow. I've had very good luck accuracy wise and these little rifles are very quick and easy handling.

I have or have had barrels in; .22 Hornet, .223 Rem., 6.5x55 (T/C Custom shop), 7mm Rem Mag X2, .30/06 X2, .338 Win Mag(SSK Industries), .358 Win (T/C Custom shop), .45/70, 12 ga. smooth bore with sights and a .50 Muzzle loading custom barrel. The .45/70 makes a nice light single shot for carrying when conditions make taking a classic single shot out unadvisable.

I have experienced the same as you describe for headspace, especially with the rimless rounds.

While they are far from common, if you keep your eyes open, there are barrels available now and then. I intend to use some of the more common barrels for monblocs for more interesting chamberings when time allows. I keep thinking about a 450/400 barrel, I think it would make a good harsh weather hunter up here.

It's nice to see others on here interested in these rifles, I've been using them for some time and rarely hear much about them or meet anyone that knows what they are.

All the best.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7930

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com