Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Soroka Farqie 300 Mag

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
sirrocco
.275 member

Reged: 10/12/06
Loc: New Zealand, Italy
Soroka Farqie 300 Mag
      #175392 - 12/02/11 11:50 AM

Heres some pics of a rifle we got mostly finished for the Reno SCI show. It was given to Ron Spomer to review after the show in an unfired, untested and unfinished state as a lack of time prevented anything else. I was happy to hear the first groups with Barnes 180ttsx's went into .425" and the Black Hills 178grn went into .675". Pretty good for an un-broken tube with factory loads. Anyway the rifles seemed to be well received by those that handled them. Reviews from Turpin, Spomer, will be published soon and Van Zwoll and Boddington are also going to be going to put pen to paper later in the year.
Does anybody know how to download pics to the site directly without having to follow a link to another site.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Soroka Farqie 300 Mag [Re: sirrocco]
      #175394 - 12/02/11 01:27 PM

Gladly. Nice rifle!

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Soroka Farqie 300 Mag [Re: CptCurl]
      #175395 - 12/02/11 01:36 PM

I am usually not a big fan of Farquharson guns, but this one is very appealing to my eye. Must be that thick quarter rib and beautiful detail work on the barrel that ties it all together for me. Superb wood as well on this gun.

Splendid work, may I ask what this gun sells for?

sirrocco
.275 member

Re: Soroka Farqie 300 Mag [Re: CptCurl]
      #175396 - 12/02/11 01:39 PM

Capt Curl,
Thanks, I think you might have saved my computer from early re-location to the dump. Perhaps you'd be so kind to write the instructions for this website so that those of us with a computer IQ under 190 can follow them.
Yes, the rifle is pretty nice. It balances very well between the hands. The barrel is stainless, cos it rains a little bit in N.Z and its only a matter of time before one finds the first pit in the barrel and that is something I cant get my head around. I dont believe for one second that the English would have used Chrome moly tubes if they could get 17-4 PH stainless at the time. So, tradionalists please excuse me for this sacreligious choice of material but it is my personal stick therefore I get to choose. Could be satin black chromed in the future (which looks identical to a satin hot blue). However a blued tube is the norm for the masses, obviously......

sirrocco
.275 member

Re: Soroka Farqie 300 Mag [Re: ]
      #175399 - 12/02/11 01:45 PM

General,
Yes, getting a rifle to have a harmonious and balanced look is an on going work. Art in the making. One has to balance out the Farkies heavy trigger guard assembly and lever. I think having the long barrel shank and quarter rib helps significantly with this. Many have commented the the stock shape is also particulary well suited to the overall "look".
As you see it with this grade of wood, colour cased, and engraved in a similar style, (at the moment) $16,500.00. Incidentally, when H&H came over and had a look at what I am making at the Reno show, they told me that they would have to charge $55,000 for a similarly spec'd rifle. I have 16 barreled actions in stock ready for wood to be fitted. Also have a 300 H&H fully scroll engraved by Lee Griffiths thats 99% done, the piece of wood on that is another step up the ladder. Will post those pics in a week or 2 when its done.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#175400 - 12/02/11 01:49 PM

Quote:

General,
As you see it with this grade of wood, colour cased, and engraved in a similar style, (at the moment) $16,500.00. I have 16 barreled actions in stock ready for wood to be fitted. Also have a 300 H&H fully scroll engraved by Lee Griffiths thats 99% done, the piece of wood on that is another step up the ladder. Will post those pics in a week or 2 when its done.

I like Lee's work I have a J. Bolliger 416 Rigby he did that is marvelous.

Please PM details of the 300 H&H I may have interest.

sirrocco
.275 member

Re: Soroka Farqie 300 Mag [Re: ]
      #175430 - 13/02/11 03:34 AM

General, Lees work is excellent, it wasnt surprising he took a bunch of awards at the ACCG FEGA dinner at Reno. Its why I commissioned him to engrave the action that has the best wood fitted. PM sent.

Note the trigger plate assembly in the middle photo. All the main working components are mounted on this trigger plate. In order from the front, the ejector, the cocking bearing,the link and block, the knock off hammer, and then the fully adjustable trigger. To remove this assembly simply open the lever to drop the block to make sure the ejector is in the out position, remove the main lever pivot screw and then the rear tang screw. Push your thumb down on top of the block which removes trigger plate from receiver. The action is now in half, which makes it extemely simple to re-adjust the trigger or clean etc.

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
      #175465 - 13/02/11 11:52 PM

Sirrocco,

Splendid work. Wonderfull execition and engineering.

Are you doing your own color case hardening? The colors are nice with very little gray.

Congratulations, and wish you all the sucess you can handle.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

sirrocco
.275 member

Re: Soroka Farqie 300 Mag [Re: baileybradshaw]
      #175472 - 14/02/11 02:17 AM

Bailey,
Thanks, the colours are good, blues, straw, golds and a lttle gray, and in addition to this it is "real" colour case. A file just slides and sings across the parts. This action has no lacquer or oil on it, so is quite matte in appearance. But to answer, no I am not doing my own colour case work at the moment. I'll PM you who I use.

And ditto to you Bailey, I hope yours are selling faster than you can finish them, (which we both know takes a fair while).

Cheers

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #175607 - 16/02/11 08:29 AM

A true masterpiece! Congratulations and may you have much success!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11994

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com