Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Picked up my Ruger # 450 3 1/4 Nitro

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
.300 member

Reged: 30/12/06
Loc: Melbourne,Victoria, Australia
Picked up my Ruger # 450 3 1/4 Nitro
      #71306 - 12/02/07 10:42 AM

I finally picked up my Ruger#1 in 450 3 1/4 nitro. It was 0riginally a 458 Win tropical that has now been rechambered. I loaded up some Black powder loads of 110 grains FFF with 405 grain Remingtons and some 480 Bertrams with 2208. Competed in the BGRC Black powder express event where it account for itself very well. Both loads were accurate and grouped well. The black powder loads were very comfortable to shoot and the Nitro loads let you know it had gone off, but was quite manageable. I have to get a higher front site as the loads are shootinga bit high and there is no more adjustment in the rear site. An aperturesite might be the go. The action has been nitrated( I think that is what it is called, it is silver in colour)and then some engraving. Some more load experimenting to go. Great fun

--------------------
The worst days shooting and hunting is better than the best day at work

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
Re: Picked up my Ruger # 450 3 1/4 Nitro [Re: 450]
      #71336 - 13/02/07 02:14 AM

congrats!!! sounds great, how bout some pics?!!!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Picked up my Ruger # 450 3 1/4 Nitro [Re: degoins]
      #71343 - 13/02/07 03:38 AM

What cast bulet did you use with BP loads? I wasn't aware any BP events allowed jacketed projectiles - that's a new one on me. Most BP ctg. events won't even allow gas checks.
: My bro's .45 3-1/4" Sharps really shot accurately with 110gr. BP and a 500gr. Hornady. He put one Hornady 500gr. RN lengthwise through a big bull moose. The bullet showed some minor expansion on exit the rump and the moose walked 3 steps after impact, then fell. They would hold into 1" at 100 meters for 3 shots, tang rear and blade front sights, off the bags, of course.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

.300 member

Re: Picked up my Ruger # 450 3 1/4 Nitro [Re: DarylS]
      #71370 - 13/02/07 10:08 AM

Daryl S

I am a member of the Big Game Rifle Club and we shoot once a month with mainly large calibre rifles suitable for dangerous game. If you look on the web under Sporting Shooters Association of Australia, and then go to B.G.R.C it will give you a good insite into the Club Activities and what rifles are needed for group 1, 2 & 3 nitro. You have to use full power loads in all events. Many of the members shoot H&H,Jeffereys doubles in some awesome calibres. The black powder event I shot in was Black Powder express. Must be more that 100 grains of Black powder, Jacketed bullets are allowed. The day event consisted of 2 shots at 100 yrds sitting or standing in your own time, at 50 yards 2 shots standing in your own time, and 2 shots in 10 seconds, at 25 yards two lots of 2 shots in 10 seconds. Some of the calibres used are 577/450,500 BP, 450BP,and numerous others. There are many events to choose from. My favourite is the special snap. I use my 458 win Brno. 8 shots at 25 yrds in 35 seconds. Possible score of 80. Everything has to go right. scored 73.

Another event where everything must got right is Hayleys Hop. There are three targets set at 50,30 & 15 yards. You must use a bolt action rifle of minimum group 1 nitro. (.330 or larger, 165 grain bullet, 2900 footpounds. 338 mag meets this criteria.) You commence with 2 cartridges in the rifle and you have to put 2 shots in each of the three target in the shortest time with the best score. There is a formula to work out the scores. So far the best I have done is 20.3 seconds and came in second.

I will get some photos of the rifle but being computer illiterate, it might takes some time to learn how to put them on.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#72068 - 21/02/07 04:52 AM

Very Interessting, 450 - I've wondered why the reluctance to allow jacketed here with BP, and some events only allow outside hammers. I am referring to North American shooting, of course.
: I wouldn't have thought to try jacketed with BP, until my Bro did it with the .45 3-1/4" chambered Sharps.
: It was amazingly accurate. No lube of any kind, just a stack of wads to take up the 'extra' space left by the 110gr. gr. load.

--------------------
Daryl

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
      #72357 - 23/02/07 06:14 PM

Great minds must think alike, my 450 NE is currently getting the barrel screwed into it, mine started out life as a 375 H&H. Building mine for the same reason as you.
Might meet you at the Nationals in July maybe?
Just got the barrel for mine in from the U.S last week, went for a Pac-Nor 3 groove 14 twist, they chambered the barrel over there for me, finished length is 28", can't wait to get it in a few weeks to see how it shoots.
One other tip, I'm having my gunsmith mill another dovetail in the quarter rib, to put another Ruger rear sight in the groove, sort of like a cheaper version of folding leaf sights, the close one for 25 and 50, the other one for 100.
Saves having to hold low in the rapidfire events.
450 A.M

.300 member

Re: Picked up my Ruger # 450 3 1/4 Nitro [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #72359 - 23/02/07 07:28 PM

Daryl S
It is quite common here to run black powder with jacketted bullets especially in the express cartridges. I also run jacketted bullets in my Pedisoli rolling block 45.70 for light Black powder events at the BGRC. It regularly shoots 1" groups at 50 yards off the bench with 405 grain rem. and 65 grains of fff BP. For hunting I switch to 300 grain Hornady's with 2207 for 2350 feet per second. This rifle has has a 28 inch barrel. This load is not hot as I contacted ADI and questioned their loading data. This load developes 26,000 CUP. With open sight I can keep 3 shots inside 2' at 100 yrds off the bench. With the 450 express and the 45.70 there is no air space in the Black powder loads, so no filler is required. Did you have a look at the SSAA web site?

450 Ackley.

Looking forward to meeting you in July. I would have liked a longer barrel, but the original 458 was what I had, so 23 inches is it. It is quite comfortable to shoot with full power 480 grain loads, but I am putting a decelerator pad on it. This will let me shoot it more. I thought of the second folding site, but have opted for a Peep site for hunting and the open sight for black powder express event. The peep sight fits straight onto the rib. It is made for the rugers by NEGC. I think that is their name. I can take it off and replace it without losing the zero. If I was computer literate I would put some photos of the rifle on for you to look at. My peep will be here in about 4 weeks. I also have to fit a higher front bead as it shoots about 4" high at the moment and there is no more adjustment in the rear sight. I think I found my recoil tolerence level the other day at the range. 500 double express with 610 grain bullets. The stock was a bit short and
I smacked my nose and shook the head a bit. Still put the bullets where I wanted them. Only 2 shots though. Keep in touch how the rifle performs.

Daryl S. It would be a buzz to see you at our Nationals in July. Don't worry about bringing a gun as there will be enough for you to shoot here.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#72390 - 24/02/07 06:30 AM

450 No - haven't been to that web site.
; The reason for the wads in my bro's load, is he felt 100gr. of 2F Black powder was all the recoil he wanted with the 500gr. RN bullets he used. The extra space had to be taken up with a filler of some sort, so he just used card wads to get a compressed load. With tang sight and pin-head front, he cut many 1", 3 shot groups at 100 yards. His Shilo rifle was from an early barreled action, with only .0015" deep rifling. It did not want to shoot lead bullets at all for the first 8 years of working with it. We finally go it to shoot lead, but that's a different story or trial and error, then finally success.
: Jacketed and smokeless or jacketed and BP- great. Lead was trouble to to the 1-1/2 thou of rilfing. That barrel should never have left Montana. He still has it although I don't know why.

--------------------
Daryl

.300 member

#73677 - 12/03/07 10:54 AM

450 Ackley.

Keep us informed on how your 450 NE is going.

I am still developing loads for mine and waiting for a higher fron to site to allow me to zero it. My black powder load is wroking well and is very accurate. Details are available if you require them.

If you are coming down for the Nationals send me a PM with a contact number. Might be able to arrange some accommodation if needed.

Wayne

--------------------

.300 member

#77316 - 24/04/07 12:50 PM

Finally got the new front site for the rifle and picked up a new Chronograph. The rifle is very comfortable to shoot. Black powder loads are pushing the 405 grain Remingtons to 1600 fps and groups well. With ADI 2208 the 405 Remingtons are easily getting 2200 Fps and there is room to increase this if required. For serious stuff the 500 grain woodleighs are doing 2125 fps which I am very happy with. I am going to keep the pressures low even though the ruger could take a lot more.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3229

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com