Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rifle Choice

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
clinker42
.224 member

Reged: 13/05/06
Loc: Australia
Rifle Choice
      #57178 - 15/05/06 11:05 AM

Hi Guys
Can you experienced guys with knowledge of different calibres help me, all I know is the 308.

Im am buying a new rifle and there is so many choices around now.
I was looking at a second hand Weatherby Accumark 300 wm with an accubrake fitted but I have read that the noise generated by the accubrake on this rifle is into a dangerous level where each shot will cause permanent damage and if you take the accubrake of then its too uncomfortable to shoot all day.

If thats true then which do you guys recommend in the 308 calibre

Tikka T3 Varmint stainless
Remington 700 sps Stainless
Remington 700 VSF
Weatherby Vangaurd Stainless

I would like to go with the Tikka T3 but main reason is because i really like the bulky stock

Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks Trev

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Judson
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/05
Loc: St. Albans Maine U.S.A.
Re: Rifle Choice [Re: clinker42]
      #57182 - 15/05/06 11:29 AM

You do not need any sort of brake on a .308 other then to eliminate any muzzel jump as a sniper might need if working on their own and most of the snipers have a spotter. In any hunting situation a brake on a .308 is of little use as recoil is minimal and with a proper weight rifle on a par with a light 20 gauge shotgun load or less. If you are not used to shooting with a bit of range time you will find the .308 very nice to shoot all day and the difference in muzzel blast much better with out the brake.

--------------------
It is the small calibers that are the biggest bores.

clinker42
.224 member

Re: Rifle Choice [Re: Judson]
      #57185 - 15/05/06 12:01 PM

Sorry Judson

I wont be putting a brake on the 308

The brake is on the Weatherby Accumark 300 wm that is available second hand, I was only mentioning that to see if other people use the 300 WM think its an ok rifle.

Trveor

Bloodnativ
.275 member

Reged: 14/11/04
Loc: South Carolina, USA
      #57193 - 15/05/06 02:21 PM

A brake on a 300 anything is not necessary. I shoot a 300 WBY with NO brake and recoil is no problem. I think a brake was put on hunting guns by people who didn't want to take the time to learn how to handle recoil of any kind. Whoever came up with the hair-brained idea to put them on hunting rifles should be made to stand beside them every time they are fired (or beaten with them). Forget about the accubrake. What will be the main use of the gun? That will greatly influence any opinions or advice.

bulldog563
.400 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: California
      #57195 - 15/05/06 03:16 PM

I personally dont like Weatherby's for many different reasons that I wont go into here.

Tikkas are great guns for the money. Every single one I have seen has been a MOA gun with factory ammo right out of the box.

Why do you specifically want a 308?

I agree that it is difficult to give advice without knowing your application.

How much do you want to spend on the rifle without a scope?

--------------------
Join the National Rifle Association:
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp

bulldog563
.400 member

Re: Rifle Choice [Re: bulldog563]
      #57196 - 15/05/06 03:16 PM

Where are you located? You should update your profile with a location... It can greatly influence the kind of advice you are given.

--------------------

clinker42
.224 member

Re: Rifle Choice [Re: bulldog563]
      #57201 - 15/05/06 09:46 PM

Sorry Im new to this computer posting stuff, i live in Australia
I picked a 308 as I have alot of experience with that calibre as I am an ex sniper in the Australian Army with 22 yrs experience.
I have used the parker and hales and the Remmington m24 and lastly the accuracy international one.
So I am sticking with that calibre, the only thing I dont know is about other brands.
I want to go with the Tikka as it has a bulkier foregrip and better cheek area on the stock, but thats the only reaosn I picked it,
I will be shooting pigs and goats and kangaroos and dogs, so the 308 will get me out to say 600 or 800 meteres I hope.
I was going to fit it with a Cael Ziess Diavari V 6-24x56 T.
Would the Tikka and the Ziess scope be the wrong choice.
Trev

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #57203 - 15/05/06 10:35 PM

The Tikka and Ziess would be a great choice.I have a Tikka that has excellent accuracy.

I have heard the Sako TRG is very good as well.

If you are shooting at those longer distances your military experience with the mil dot will make for a great challenge with game! I like the TDS system in combo with a rangefinder to compensate for bullet drop for longer shots out to 500 yds.It works well with deer/elk. Mil Dot's don't work for me personally.I just have a hard time with the math on a mil dot computing distance and then remembering the bullet drop and windage from memory.

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (15/05/06 10:36 PM)

Bloodnativ
.275 member

Reged: 14/11/04
Loc: South Carolina, USA
Re: Rifle Choice [Re: hoppdoc]
      #57232 - 16/05/06 11:56 AM

For that pupose at those ranges a 300 mag might be a better option just because of the flatter trajectory. However with your experience with the 308 it may not be an issue.

clinker42
.224 member

Re: Rifle Choice [Re: Bloodnativ]
      #57239 - 16/05/06 02:46 PM

I have thought about that , as i mentioned there is a weatheryby accumark 300 wm with an accubrake thats real cheap.
But i have heard that with the accubrake they are too noisy and can do you permanent hearing damage and if you take the accubrake off then you cant comfortably shoot the 300 wm all day.

bulldog563
.400 member

#57242 - 16/05/06 03:29 PM

If you can afford a Zeiss Diavari I bet you could afford a Sako.

Tikka is made by Sako. They are very similar rifles but the Tikka is built to a lower price point with a few plastic parts, etc. They are both very good and VERY accurate rifles. I currently have a Tikka in 338 Win Mag and have a Sako on the way in the same caliber.

If I were in your position I would get a used Sako AV(A five) in 300 Winchester Magnum. Great round with lots of range. Doesn't kick bad and will kill everything you listed very cleanly. You can get a used Sako AV for around 800 bucks in the states so only a couple hundred more then a Tikka.

If you dont want the 300 Win Mag and feel better with a 308 then get the 308 as both rifles are chambered in both calibers.

Whether you go with Sako or Tikka they will both be Tack Drivers.

If you are interested I am selling a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25X50mm. It is an excellent Long Range scope. The money you would save over the Zeiss could get you from the Tikka to a Sako without sacrificing scope quality or range. The scope is basically brand new and retails anywhere from 1300 USD. I would sell it for less then 1000. Website below;

http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_products/Mark_4_8_5-25x50mm_LRT_M1.htm

--------------------

hoppdoc
.400 member

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Southeastern USA
      #57266 - 17/05/06 04:50 AM

With your military experience you may wish to watch the GunsAmerica tactical rifles section or Gunbroker.com. You may come up on a tackdriver for a very good price.

In my experience it isn't hard to find a decently priced 300 yard rifle, but a 400+ yard rifle is a different creature entirely.I have only had few rifles that shot as well as custom jobs stock out of the box--a 7mm Mag Sendero for example. The other low cost surprise was an 11 pound 308 heavy barreled Savage varmint rifle ordered with an accutrigger.My rifle remains a 0.5 MOA rifle out of the box. Thats impressive for the relatively low cost!

Whatever you choose get great optics and have fun!!

--------------------
An armed man is a citizen of his country, an unarmed man just a subject.

Edited by hoppdoc (17/05/06 04:51 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3565

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com