Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: ruger #1 forend problems

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
zillyman
.224 member

Reged: 05/09/05
ruger #1 forend problems
      #36911 - 05/09/05 02:17 PM

Hi,
I am completely new to this forum but have been reading through a lot of the messages and haven't really seen this addressed. I have #1 in 7mm. It is a hunting rifle for me and has shot wonderfully until this year. My groups have opened up and it has become frustrating to shoot.

A couple years ago I floated the barrel and now it seems that I have some play at the end of the forend which allows it to touch the barrel. Should I remove more material from the stock, or put a spacer where the bolt goes through the stock, or both or neither?

Sorry if I sound a little panicky its just that hunting season is around the corner and my old reliable is kind of being funny.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: ruger #1 forend problems [Re: zillyman]
      #36913 - 05/09/05 03:51 PM

I'd try to figure out what has changed. Why does the forearm have play in it? Fix that problem and your rifle should return to being old reliable again.

rgp
.333 member

Reged: 17/06/04
Loc: TX & VIC
Re: ruger #1 forend problems [Re: DPhillips]
      #36914 - 05/09/05 03:57 PM

Try placing a business card or maybe two at the forend tip between the barrel and forend to add some upward pressure there, #1's appear to need some upward pressure at the forend tip. Normally there is no need to free float a #1 and adjusting the upward tension on the barrel at either the tip of the forend or by running a screw upward through the forend hanger works better.

There is even one shop that sells a kit to modify the forend hanger to allow a constant upward tension.

If you mod the forend hangar with a screw to supply the tension, set the screw with a torque wrench so that you are able to repeat the settings later.

Richard

zillyman
.224 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Re: ruger #1 forend problems [Re: rgp]
      #36927 - 06/09/05 12:36 AM

thanks for the advice.

I have heard about putting a tensioning screw throught the hanger but I have never really understood how that is done.
Does that mean drilling another hole through that hanger?
If so, that will probably be my last resort.

If I get my honey do's done today I might try to sneak away to the range again today.

thanks again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2205

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com