Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Big Bore SS attraction

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
John8061
.224 member

Reged: 28/01/04
Big Bore SS attraction
      #7594 - 28/01/04 01:27 PM

I had the fortune of shooting a .500 NE double (last year) and have to acquire a rifle in that chambering. However (being "cheap") and not wanting to pay the prices asked for "traditional" big bores (Gunsamerica has a nice .577 NE double for $150k (incorrectly spelled Holand & Holand)), I was looking into the Krieghoff .500, available for $8,500 at the Cabelas Gun Library. After looking around, Bowen will rebarrel a #1 .458 to .500 NE for about $1,500. If I were to ever DG hunt in Africa, I will be taking my .416.

I am wondering if you think:

1) Is there a better alternative to .500 NE that could be chambered in the newer model #1? (or other things I should consider?)

2) Is the cost difference between a Krieghoff .500 (@ $8500) worth it over a #1 .500 at $2,500? (and if so, why do you feel that way?)

3) I understand nostaglia, but how many "double owners" actually make it to an African DG hunt, and if they don't, wouldn't they be as well off with a #1?

This is my first post here, so please be tolerant, and thanks for your help.

John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Big Bore SS attraction [Re: John8061]
      #7596 - 28/01/04 01:47 PM

The practicality of owning a Big bore in Single Shot or as a Double Rifle has always eluded me. A Bolt action is much more practical and probably more useful in the full range of hunting activites.

You must decide if the additiional $5000 to own the Double Rifle is worth it, 'for the spirit'. As far as an investment the Krieghoff is probably not the best use of the money. If you decide on a Double than you would be better off with a good used Brit Rifle, maybe in a different caliber, for similar money. The resale will be substantially different.

Their are three tiers of prices for Doubles. New at $8 - 10k, Used at $8 - 15k and New at way over $15k. If you want a Double 'for the spirit' than I suggest a $8 - 15k used Brit, a traditional Double by an historical maker at a price that will hold it's value.

Just my .02 cents worth and worth what you paid for it.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
      #7597 - 28/01/04 02:03 PM

Greetings, John, and welcome aboard!

Ahhh.... doubles! A more magical rifle does not exist.

But let us not muddy the waters with lingo such as 'practical', and the like

I want one myself for no other reason than... I want one.

I have a well used long term pre-64 375 H&H that is a great all around rifle but I want a double in 375 Flanged. Why? Cause it's a double!

My current big bore is a #1 500 NE and I love it. Mine was done by SSK. The Bowen conversions are very nice also.

I think most of us want doubles because of the individual personality they exhibit. It's kind of like owning an old HD Knucklehead. Not the most perfect machine but it has an aura about it that cannot be explained or ignored. Owning a double is entering into a relationship. Said relationship will have its ups and downs. And they only whisper their enticements to certain people - generally those who are a bit different from the norm.

Kind of like the folks you'll find hanging around here

When I get my double I'll hunt with it but I will never be able to justify it! Know what I mean? Of course, I certainly did not need a 500 calibre single shot either. But I've wanted one since I was a little boy.

And I hunt jackrabbits with it

Again, welcome, and enjoy yourself here.

mickey
.416 member

Re: Big Bore SS attraction [Re: Holmes]
      #7607 - 28/01/04 03:10 PM

John

Welcome to the forum, I didn't notice that this was your first post.

Like Holmes said this forum contains a larger segment of slightly off the bubble members than most and you will will find a significant amount of information interspersed with a significant amount of opinion.

Welcome.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #7637 - 29/01/04 12:09 AM

John,
Welcome, glad to have you with us.
If you have the urge to buy a double, just go and buy it. You don't need a reason.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #7642 - 29/01/04 02:02 AM

John

Welcome to NitroExpress.com. Hope you enjoy it here.

If I could afford a double in preference to a single shot I would go for the double.

If you already have a bolt action .416 you have a useful larger bore bolt action. A double in .470 or .500 would go nice with it.

I understand Mickey's comments on re-sale value and I bought my Jeffrey for that reason - as the price differential wasn't enough to loose the potential re-sale value. However I would have no problem buying a Merkel or Krieghoff if I liked one. I don't really buy and sell and plan for my grandkids to use my double(s) one day. (note the intended plural )

As for your questions:
1.) Not qualified to answer
2.) My opinion is I would go for a double, because I would like it more and actually use it more than a single shot. I would only take a single shot .500 NE to Africa if I didn't have a big bore double.
3.) Yes I will use min in Africa (didn't have one when I last was there) and will use it on a lot of other game before I am dead.

Have fun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Big Bore SS attraction [Re: mickey]
      #7643 - 29/01/04 02:04 AM

In reply to:

The practicality of owning a Big bore in Single Shot or as a Double Rifle has always eluded me. A Bolt action is much more practical and probably more useful in the full range of hunting activites.

Is this the Mickey we all know and admire or an evil twin that has taken control of his soul (his PC) and posting in his name?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Big Bore SS attraction [Re: NitroX]
      #7802 - 30/01/04 09:53 AM

I will use my double and leave my SS's at home for dangerous game these days..I love a good SS rifle and I think they are a thing of beauty, but I also feel they have no place on a DG Safari where I am the shooter.....

I have no problem with anyone who wishes to use them in our camps, that is there business...I will be glad to back them up, as will Pierre....Hell I don't care what anyone shoots if the gamescout takes the bribe....

mickey
.416 member

Re: Big Bore SS attraction [Re: NitroX]
      #7810 - 30/01/04 11:13 AM

In reply to:

Poster: NitroX
Subject: Re: Big Bore SS attraction

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this the Mickey we all know and admire or an evil twin that has taken control of his soul (his PC) and posting in his name?

Love, Love? You are too kind.

For overall application in all circumstances I think a bolt is more useful. That being said, I have always been a romantic and could very happily never touch another bolt action again and finish my life hunting with a Double or Single shot rifle. I would adjust my hunting to fit the limitations, although I don't think they would be as great as some people would like to belieive.

For the most part I have already done so. Aside from a lever action for a saddle gun and a couple of foul weather bolt actions all of my hunting is with a Double. I am looking for a nice single shot in a HV caliber though.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

Holmes
.300 member

Reged: 01/12/03
Loc: Wyoming, USA
Re: Big Bore SS attraction [Re: mickey]
      #7842 - 30/01/04 04:02 PM

In reply to:

I am looking for a nice single shot in a HV caliber though.

What cartridge(s) are you considering?

mickey
.416 member

Re: Big Bore SS attraction [Re: Holmes]
      #7845 - 30/01/04 04:13 PM

Holmes

A 30 Blaser, 7 x 65R something along those likes in a break action. Should be able to find one that weighs in around 6 pounds. I hope.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

Hobie
.224 member

Reged: 15/01/04
Loc: Staunton, VA, USA
      #7910 - 31/01/04 08:29 AM

I think that in general, shooters are an impractical lot. Let's face it, we don't really hunt to feed the family particularly anything that requires a true big bore! But don't you just love it!?!

--------------------
Sincerely,

Hobie
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." The Queen Mother
116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4315

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com