Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My 1st Drilling- Sempert & Krieghoff 16x16x8,57JR short bbls

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
My 1st Drilling- Sempert & Krieghoff 16x16x8,57JR short bbls
      #372562 - 23/12/22 10:29 PM

My 1st Drilling - a Sempert & Krieghoff Blitz-Action - 16x16x8,57JR - 21-3/4" bbls

Although I've collected several Cape Guns over the years, I just purchased my first Drilling.

Its a - Sempert & Krieghoff Blitz-Action Drilling in 16ga,16ga, 8x57JR

I was drawn to this one because of the very short barrels, and its very good condition, with nice engraving. I've figured out the cocking and shooting sequence but have no idea as to the function of the little button ahead of the right trigger. I'm hoping someone here can help explain this feature.

As always, comments are welcome.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: My 1st Drilling- Sempert & Krieghoff 16x16x8,57JR short bbls [Re: buckstix]
      #372564 - 23/12/22 11:41 PM

you are never to old to buy your first drilling. I have a good news for you - you can sell now all other guns because the drilling will do it now.
its hard to find a drilling, and especially one in higher grade like yours, without a scope.looks like a 8x57IR? do you you have 8 mm I Bullets on stock?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

buckstix
.400 member

Re: My 1st Drilling- Sempert & Krieghoff 16x16x8,57JR short bbls [Re: lancaster]
      #372565 - 24/12/22 01:19 AM

hello lancaster,
thanks foe the reply.

unfortunately, I don't have any bullets

--------------------

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #372568 - 24/12/22 02:59 AM

I have a .318 resizing die but no I caliber rifle in the safe but you never know hat happen in the future.
Got .321 170 grains Speer hot cor bullets from an estate, don't know if they were used to load for a combination gun or a bolt action rifle.
bolt action rifles have much thicker barrels than combination guns so what happen if you use them in a drilling? if kuduae see this - he may have personal experience with such american .321 bullets in I bore guns and will give an advise.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: My 1st Drilling- Sempert & Krieghoff 16x16x8,57JR short bbls [Re: lancaster]
      #372574 - 24/12/22 05:01 AM

During the interwar years Sempert & Krieghoff propagated their short drillings with barrel lengths of 55 or 60 cm, about 22 or 24”. The shorter than usual barrels vastly improved balance and handling. They called their short drillings “Modell Waldschütz” = forest shooter. As your’s is fitted with a horn trigger guard, a cartridge holder in buttstock, high grade wood and engraving, it is a “Waldschütz Luxus”.
Afaik, on their early drillings with the separate cocking of the rifle barrel lock by the top slide, the front trigger did not automatically switch back to the right shot barrel on pulling the slide back. You had to push that little button to reactivate the shot barrel lock. Check it out this way: Load the drilling with snap caps or empty cases. Push the selector slide forward to Kugel = rifle position. Now the automatic rear sight ought to be raised, indicating the front trigger will fire the rifle barrel. Pull back the top slide to the Schrot = shot position. Pull the front trigger, but nothing ought to happen, unless you pushed the small button in between.
By 1930 Krieghoff had redesigned their lockwork, omitting the button and the extra movement.

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: My 1st Drilling- Sempert & Krieghoff 16x16x8,57JR short bbls [Re: kuduae]
      #372578 - 24/12/22 06:35 AM

Axel, what a world of knowledge ypu possess and share. I learn a lot reading your replies. Thanks

--------------------
RB

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: My 1st Drilling- Sempert & Krieghoff 16x16x8,57JR short bbls [Re: 85lc]
      #372579 - 24/12/22 06:48 AM

Lovely piece Buckstix, a true little gem you have there!
Not wrong 85LC, kuduae's replies on anything are always sought after.
Now lets see how she shoots - when you get some projectiles of course!
Merry Christmas to all

buckstix
.400 member

#372581 - 24/12/22 08:33 AM

Quote:

During the interwar years Sempert & Krieghoff propagated their short drillings with barrel lengths of 55 or 60 cm, about 22 or 24”. The shorter than usual barrels vastly improved balance and handling. They called their short drillings “Modell Waldschütz” = forest shooter. As your’s is fitted with a horn trigger guard, a cartridge holder in buttstock, high grade wood and engraving, it is a “Waldschütz Luxus”.
Afaik, on their early drillings with the separate cocking of the rifle barrel lock by the top slide, the front trigger did not automatically switch back to the right shot barrel on pulling the slide back. You had to push that little button to reactivate the shot barrel lock. Check it out this way: Load the drilling with snap caps or empty cases. Push the selector slide forward to Kugel = rifle position. Now the automatic rear sight ought to be raised, indicating the front trigger will fire the rifle barrel. Pull back the top slide to the Schrot = shot position. Pull the front trigger, but nothing ought to happen, unless you pushed the small button in between.
By 1930 Krieghoff had redesigned their lockwork, omitting the button and the extra movement.

Hello kuduae, (and others)
thanks for the reply,

I tested what you described. Here is what I found. If you cock the rifle barrel with the handspanner top-tang cocking/de-cocking slide, the right trigger is dedicated to the rifle barrel. If you then decide not to fire the rifle barrel, you simply de-cock the rifle firing pin with the handspanner top-tang cocking/de-cocking slide. You are correct, the right trigger is now deactivated and it does nothing because it was dedicated to the rifle barrel. In order to return function back to the shotgun barrel, you have to push the button.

As usual, your knowledge has helped me tremendously. thank you 

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #372583 - 24/12/22 10:14 AM

Beautiful rifle, buckstix. I cannot think of a better one for your FIRST.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: My 1st Drilling- Sempert & Krieghoff 16x16x8,57JR short bbls [Re: DarylS]
      #372591 - 24/12/22 08:57 PM

So the decocker is actually a selector for the rifle barrel of right shotgun barrel? And the little button is required to reset the right shotgun barrel and front trigger?

The Greener safety is the only actual safety? The decocker decocks a shotgun barrel but cocks the rifle barrel. And vice versa?

The little button would be a bit annoying. I would forget it too often.

Two times improved modified chokes. Typical tight German chokes. I would see if one could be opened.

Very nice and useful combination for mixed medium game and small game. Congratulations.

Very good knowledge as usual by members.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
Re: My 1st Drilling- Sempert & Krieghoff 16x16x8,57JR short bbls [Re: NitroX]
      #372594 - 24/12/22 11:16 PM

Quote:

So the decocker is actually a selector for the rifle barrel of right shotgun barrel?

The cocking/decocking slide on the top tang cocks the rifle barrel lock and disconnects the front trigger from the right hand shot barrel lock.
Quote:

The decocker decocks a shotgun barrel but cocks the rifle barrel.

No, it merely cocks the rifle barrel lock, connects the front trigger to the rifle lock and disconnects the trigger from the cocked right shot barrel lock.
Quote:

The Greener safety is the only actual safety?

The Greener safety blocks the two cocked shot barrel locks only. The uncocked, slide back, rifle lock needs no further safety. The cocking slide is the safety for the rifle barrel.
Quote:

And the little button is required to reset the right shotgun barrel and front trigger?

Yes, it reconnects the front trigger to the right shotgun lock. Both shotgun locks are cocked all the time on opening of the drilling, just the rifle lock remains uncocked until the slide is pushed forward.
Quote:

The little button would be a bit annoying. I would forget it too often.

That’s why Krieghoff soon redesigned the lockwork to eliminate the little reset button.

TH44
.375 member

Reged: 21/02/09
Loc: West UK
      #372647 - 26/12/22 03:40 PM

Buckstix, you seem to be able to get thee best of the excellent rifles we all enjoy - most envious!!

Many thanks for posting

to Kuduae, your input and knowledge of the European arms industry is unique, and I thank you for your always informative postings

Lancaster as always a pleasure to read

TH

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
Re: My 1st Drilling- Sempert & Krieghoff 16x16x8,57JR short bbls [Re: TH44]
      #373499 - 26/01/23 07:30 PM

Go ahead and load with the .321 170gr 32Spl bullets. It works fine, and for many years here in the USA it's as close to "J" bore bullets as we could get. ALSO: if you slug the bore I'd bet dollars to dog turds that it's .320-.321. Earlier between wars guns were made that way on purpose.

Ammo was not readily available, and a lot of hunters/shooters used what they could get. That meant military .323 8mm "S" ammo.You'll encounter an occasional JR drilling that has a small spring loaded extractor milled into the rimmed case extractor to pull out rimless ammo installed into the edge of the main extractor. The .320+ bores were the compromise, allowing for use of any 8X57 ammo, except for the 8X57R-360, which is entirely different.

NICE vintage drilling you have there. The Antinit steel is a premium material and is somewhat corrosion and rust resistant. It rates a two-cool!

Edited by luv2safari (27/01/23 06:52 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1922

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com