Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: TCR 83

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
EDELWEISS
.375 member

Reged: 22/11/05
Loc: Gettysburg
TCR 83
      #252417 - 20/08/14 03:13 PM

Ive seen a couple Thompson Center Rifles lately and Im kicking myself I didnt jump on one "back in the day", just like I missed the Valmet O/Us. I have never fully embraced the T/C Contender or Encore Rifles because of the pistol grip; BUT the TCR 83 is a true rifle.

My concerns now all revolve around spare parts and what to do if something breaks. Im NOT sure thats really valid but it IS bothersome.

Help me out here--push me in one direction or the other..

--------------------
If it's not custom, it's just borrowed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
Re: TCR 83 [Re: EDELWEISS]
      #252455 - 21/08/14 03:08 AM

I had one, years ago--DST, with 3 barrels as I recall (223, 308, and a custom 358Win). I really wanted to like that rifle, but it never worked out for me.

The pistol grip and DST were long; many complained about this. I have arms and hands like an ape, so I rather liked it. The triggers needed work before they could be considered "good". The safety was like something designed by Ted Kennedy and approved by Diane Feinstein.

Either you disable the first stage of the safety, or you use two hands to take the safety off (forget about taking the safety off with gloves on). That was a total "FAIL" on a hunting rifle, at least for me--cost me more than one shot before I stopped using it. I swapped it off for something forgettable, and moved on.

Beyond scope mounts, I don't think there is much available for parts. On the other hand, I've not seen much call for parts--maybe they don't break, or maybe folks just tend to not shoot them. Other than the one I had, I've never seen one in the field or on the range. Custom barrels? The only way I've heard of is to find a factory barrel and re-use the monobloc.

If you get one, try to get the "magnum" action. They use a two-part locking lug, and will be marked "M" or "MAG" on the outside bottom of the action. (I've seen them both ways.)

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: TCR 83 [Re: Jim_C]
      #252463 - 21/08/14 05:57 AM

I guess Im looking for a single shot rifle better than a H&R but under $2000. Im not opposed to Ruger No1's; but I sorta wanted something "different". The TCR's seem or maybe seemed like a good option.

I really wanted to like the T/C Contender and Encore rifles, EXCEPT for the damn pistol grip. What other options are out there?

--------------------

Jim_C
.300 member

#252489 - 21/08/14 02:25 PM

That will depend on what caliber(s) you want, and what you want to do with it. There are always the various incarnations of the Browning/Winchester high wall, and a variety of reproductions of other rifles. If you can find one in the actiion size appropriate to the cartridge you want, the FBW actions were very nice. Martinis can make a nice rifle, in British or Germanic styles.

Remember though, there is a reason the Ruger is the modern standard. With few exceptions, they just work, and look pretty good doing it.

EDELWEISS
.375 member

Re: TCR 83 [Re: Jim_C]
      #252490 - 21/08/14 02:58 PM

Sorry I guess I should have said, Im looking for a 223 and 30-06.

--------------------

Jim_C
.300 member

#252526 - 22/08/14 02:40 PM

Honestly, if I had $2k budgeted for single-shot rifles in .223 and 30-06 (fine choices for a pair of working rifles!), I'd find two used #1s in good condition. I'd put glass I liked on top (probably an old T6 Weaver on the .223, and a 4x or 6x from Weaver or Leopold on the '06), fit backup iron sights to the '06, and use the left-over money for ammo. Then I'd make them mine by trying to wear them out hunting--but that's me.

For those cartridges, you might look for a couple of the recent High Walls from Browning or Winchester. There are variations and different models, meaning different internals, but they seem decent rifles. Parts availability is about like any discontinued rifle, but the maker (I think both of these were made by Miroku) made a decent base rifle. I'm not sure you could get them both for under $2k, but you might be close.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2942

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com