Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 12 Bore Encore Rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
KDMCustom
.224 member

Reged: 01/04/07
Loc: Arizona, USA
12 Bore Encore Rifle
      #80316 - 11/06/07 08:16 AM

In my pursuit of big bores, I've managed to acquire the largest bore size possible for the Thompson Center Encore rifle. I was wanting a .577 Nitro Express but no custom barrel maker will make one for the encore. I stumble across many articles on the 12 gauge from Hell. I thought that was very interesting but no one does production work with this and I don't know anyone that would make a custom Encore barrel for it. Then one day I ran across Dixie Slugs on the web. This was the answer I was looking for! A 12 gauge shotshell loaded with a .729 hard cast bullet weighing 730 grains at 1400 fps. Now all I needed was a 12 gauge rifled barrel. Thompson Center makes a 12 gauge 24" rifled barrel. I bought one at Midway USA for $250. I'm ordering 5 boxes of Dixie Slugs Terminator ammo soon. In the mean time, I'm going to shoot some Federal 12 gauge slug ammo and see how it feels in an Encore. The Dixie Slugs ammo will sure stop some angry critters!!!

--------------------
KDM Custom
Big Bore Reloading Service
Your Brass + My Labor

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 12 Bore Encore Rifle [Re: KDMCustom]
      #80328 - 11/06/07 10:53 AM

KDMCB:
The 12-bore rifled single-shot is a marvellous concept, and very 'doable' these days. The guys over on the 'bubble-gum' BBS have been playing with the NEF Handi-Rifle to achieve similar results with the Dixi-slug et al. In Australia, the Greener GP Martini is an obvious candidate, and several conversions turn up regularly at Big Game Rifle shoots across the country.

Personally I'm not a fan of American single-shots, but Thompson-Center made a big mistake dropping the TCR-87 IMHO. It had far more potential for making up into an elegant sporter than the Encore, which will always look 'distinctive', to be kind!

I know little about the Encore (obviously!), but assume it has steel through the wrist otherwise it could be a risky candidate for a heavy big-bore due to potential wrist breakage. Wouldn't want to wear that lot in the face!

Gives new meaning to the term "straight grain through the wrist"!

Can I ask the twist rate of the TC rifled 12-bore barrel? I have a pair of Shaw barrels at 1 turn in 28" which are intended for a 12-bore double or Paradox at some stage. That's faster than vintage bore-guns by quite a bit... though the couple of examples of Holland's Magnum Nitro Paradox we have measured were under 1:30".

Thanks.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

KDMCustom
.224 member

Reged: 01/04/07
Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: 12 Bore Encore Rifle [Re: Marrakai]
      #80334 - 11/06/07 12:10 PM

I'll actually get a thumbhole stock for it before shooting the Dixie Slugs Terminator ammo. It's stronger in the wrist area. The rate of twist is 1 in 24". I'll also put a few mercury recoil reduces in the butt stock.

--------------------
KDM Custom
Big Bore Reloading Service
Your Brass + My Labor

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2476

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com