Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Most accurate single shot ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Most accurate single shot ?
      #71222 - 11/02/07 02:13 PM

I'm a rookie when it comes to single shot rifles. Are they/can they be as accurate as a very good bolt action? Any one action more accurate than the others? They make beautiful rifles but I'm thinking about light weight and long range accuracy..... sorry if this "old stuff" but I'd like to get some input from those of you with experience. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Most accurate single shot ? [Re: AzGuy]
      #71233 - 11/02/07 04:12 PM

Well, maybe you better define what you mean by accuracy and at what distance.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Most accurate single shot ? [Re: DoubleD]
      #71241 - 11/02/07 07:31 PM

The most accurate single shots I have seen are the Blaser K 95's.

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Re: Most accurate single shot ? [Re: DoubleD]
      #71257 - 12/02/07 12:51 AM

I've taken up Coues deer hunting here in Arizona and Mexico. These are small animals, a large buck will go 125-150 pounds. The country is "steep" and the shots can be long --- 300 + yards. Kill zone is about 6-8 inches and would like to be able to do that out to 500 yards. I've shot lots of rock chucks beyond 500 yards with my 220 swift --- 27" barrel and weighs 12 pounds. Looking for the lightest rifle w/great accuracy.

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: Most accurate single shot ? [Re: NE450No2]
      #71259 - 12/02/07 01:11 AM

Hello Arizona
I think that you have to define what level of single shot you are looking at. In some cases the single shot is as accurate as the barrel, but these days I don't think that anyone is consistantly making bad barrels.
In most cases it is the design itself that keeps it from becoming accurate.
Besides the firing mechanism (striker or hammer), the way in which the foreend is attached and bedded to the barrel can make a big difference.
I worked on a fellow's Ruger #1 in 30-06 that wouldn't group into 2", until I added a shim inbetween the foreend hanger and the stock. Groups droped to 1.25 immediately.
I have one in .375 H&H that consistantly shoots into 5/8" with Federal and Winchester factory, but that gun is a few pounds heavier than the 06 and I have to shoot it with a sling to get that accuracy.
The Schutzen crew shoot single shots like the Miller, but those guns aren't light either.

The cartridge that you put in it makes a difference (lighter chamberings seem to be more forgiving than heavier ones from an inertia issue.)
A good trigger can make a great deal of difference especially in a light rifle.

My choice would probably be a #1 RSI in 7x57. I would fix the trigger then shoot it to see if any changes have to be made elsewhere. The mannlicher stock would be there to protect that skinny barrel from dings

I'm sure that I missed something here but I think that's most of it.

Cheers.

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Most accurate single shot ? [Re: AzGuy]
      #71292 - 12/02/07 08:52 AM

Modern singleshot rifles can be scary accurate if built properly. Sub-MOA accuracy is usually not a problem with most provided the shooter, ammunition and rifle is constructed without a major fumble. I've not had a Ruger No.1 yet that wasn't capable of it, provided I did some minor "tweaking". Tweaking would consist of trigger work, maybe some forearm pressure relieving or adjusting of the spring. I've heard, but not experienced myself, of quarter ribs having to be relieved a little on back end against the action.

It would be more of a guarantee to start a build from the ground up with a Dakota, Hall, or Hagn for what you are looking for than a mass production barrel and action like the Ruger, it's just the nature of the beast. For top flite accuracy, I don't know of anyone using factory components without some renovation.

Also, for me and what you are describing, lugging a rifle into the desert mountains in high temps, I'd want a relatively light rifle, not something the Ruger comfortably is. All their rifles are built around one action. From the 22 centerfires to the 458's, they all use the same action. A small action Hagn could get the weight down much easier without sacraficing anything for strength or accuracy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2716

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com