Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A love for Australian wines

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Recipes, food, wine & beverages

Pages: 1
NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
A love for Australian wines
      #11034 - 06/03/04 02:00 PM

I have long been a lover of fine wines, what better way to compliment that bacon wrapped quail or venison steak. I have kept a selection of wines on hand but just recently sampled some Aussie selections and fallen in love with a Shariz special reserve by Casella estates. A wonderful wine for daily drinking at a affordable price with a excellent nose and robust pallet very good with game dish and a good cigar to top off the meal.

I have now started to search out Aussie wines and find them to my liking. I would like to know if any of my Aussie mates know were Casella Esates is located and any other wines in the region I might sample. I prefer reds as the sulfurs in whites dose not agree with me.

Thanks in advance,

James F. Nixon III

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A love for Australian wines [Re: NONE]
      #11066 - 07/03/04 12:33 AM

James

I will be more than happy to help. Our esteemed member GeorgeS recently PMed me with a similar request.

Stayed tuned.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: A love for Australian wines [Re: NitroX]
      #11156 - 08/03/04 10:18 AM

There are a lot of wine regions in Australia. Some of the better ones:

Barossa SA
Coonawarra SA
Padthaway SA
Adelaide Hills SA
Clare SA
Margaret River WA
Yarra Valley Vic
McLaren Vale SA

Some others too.

I am from the Barossa Valley in South Australia so am naturally biased to Australia's premium and one of the oldest wine growing regions in Aust.

The Barossa established the Austalian wine industries craze for Shiraz, or Syrah as the French and Americans call it.

Shiraz is a red (or black) grape and makes everything from light table reds to medium and dark full bodied dry table wines. Also fortified - tawny or ports, and also excellent sparkling shiraz's.

Did you know the Barossa has the oldest Shiraz vineyards in the world, and some of the oldest surviving vineyards in the world as well? From the 1880's, as most of the world suffered a phyloxera disease blight in the late 1800's with South Australia escaping this disease (and quarantine keeping it out since).

The Barossa was settled in 1836 (my ancestors arrived 1838) and vineyards were planted in the first two decades of settlement. The climate in the Barossa is Mediterannean with cool wet or moist winters and warm to hot dry summers. The sea is only 80 kms away and moderates the inland temperatures to a degree. The climate is ideal for full bodied red wines.

These old vines and newer ones have been used to make very big and full bodied wines such as Penfolds Grange, the wine flagship of Australia. But also many others including: Barossa Valley Estates E & E (see paragraph below); St Hallett Old Block Shiraz; Rockfords Basket Press (good value for price); Peter Lehmann Stonewell etc

An early tip. The Barossa Valley Estate E & E Black Pepper Shiraz - get hold of it now! Good press news for this winery will be around later in the year and it will be much in demand. How's that for an inside tip!

Most of these wines are not cheap but extremely good value compared to over priced French wines with names but perhaps not the goods in the bottle

Wine quality is made in the vineyard not in winery. This is a universal fact. All that minute fiddling some French wineries do does not add to flavour, colour, aroma, it just adds to the cost and price. We have a French owned winery setup only a kilometre away and sold them some grapes last year. These wines end up costing over $200 per bottle, yet another Australian winery where I used to work won prizes for Semillon (white) for a Semillon varietal selling for $A17 per bottle.

Good value Shiraz from the Barossa starts at about A$16 per bottle. Try St Hallett Faith shiraz (also the Blackwell label which is excellent and becoming more widespread in the USA), Barossa Valley Estates Moculta and Ebenezer Shiraz's.

Here endeth today's lesson in Shiraz.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NONE
.300 member

#11162 - 08/03/04 11:13 AM

NitroX,

Thanks for the lesson. I will be at the fine wine store on MON to order a few of the selections you recommended, I may have to try them by the case if they are not available here though. No harm I have a cellar, all the better to add a few selections.

I actually did not know of the Shiraz history with Australia very interesting indeed. I will not buy any french products anymore and with exception of a few Chateau Latour's that were gifts and a couple of Chateau Mouton-Rothschild's I have had for some time no french products are welcome in my home so there high priced products are of no interest to me either.

The Barossa Valley Estate E & E Black Pepper Shiraz sounds quite interesting. I in vision this as a very robust full bodied affair and like my rifles a bit of kick out of my wine is appreciated. I feel like a insider now with a tip how great is that, thanks!

Do you produce any of your own wines or sell primarily to other winery in the region? What a picture perfect climate for a vineyard.

I do have a Penfolds Grange Hermitage Barossa I just purchased as they had it in stock, it was said to be of a decent vintage I am excited about giving it a try once the right moment comes along. I hope to get a few days of quail/pheasant hunting in before I leave for Africa I may try it with some pheasant over rice and finnish with a nice robusto Cuban.

I have access to a vineyard here locally Chateau Elan, its owned along with the Hotel/day spa and ajoining ALMS racetrack by a good friend I do some joint work with. The climate here doesn't make for a good vinyard and the wine is so-so at best though, kind of gimmicky I would say but its nice to see a behind the scenes either way.

Thanks for the advice I will let you know how I fair with the selections.

James F. Nixon III

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#11167 - 08/03/04 11:46 AM

Hey I'm not knocking Chatour Latour or Mouton-Rothschild, if you can afford them! I've tried the cheaper Cadet label of the Mouton-Rothschild. But I'm not going to mortgage the house to drink wine.

Another Barossa label I forgot is Henchke. Almost everything the make is good, some high priced though (relatively). The flagship there is "Hill of Grace" named after the nearby Lutheran church "Gnadenberg".

Their "Mount Edelstone" shiraz is alo extremely good.

Most of the wines I mentioned (except Hill of Grace and Grange - priced A$200 +) are in the range of A$20 to A$30 (eg Faith, Blackwell and Ebenezer), A$35 (Rockfords) and $A40 toA$80 (Old Block, Stonewell, E&E etc). 750 ml bottles.

If I could afford it I would drink nothing but these in a shiraz.

My cellar is my hallway which has one of each wall(s) cluttered with wine boxes and racks.

We aren't making our own wines yet, but experimented last year with good results from a limited run and again this year. I have two vineyards where I believe exceptional fruit is coming from, but I do not believe I am being paid for it. So am making some to prove that and hopefully will end up marketing some ourselves.

Just for fun I am learning winemaking on a basic level this year.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (08/03/04 03:09 PM)

NONE
.300 member

#11172 - 08/03/04 12:35 PM

I am lucky that I have many clients that give me wine along with other nice things for special occasions, holidays and as contract incentives. I have many very nice wines that I would not have payed what they demand if it were my pocket they were coming out of.

The wines you listed are more my speed when I am the one paying when it comes to scotch, wine and cigars I find top of the line is nice but middle of the road is so close the outlay doesn't justify the payoff. Unless collecting of course. When it comes to rifles, watches, cars and books that is a different story.

James F. Nixon III

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Hooray! Vintage is over! [Re: NONE]
      #13742 - 20/04/04 10:28 PM

Yippeee!

Today was the last day of picking for me and today was also the last crush I'm doing. Still work to do of course but perhaps some time for a little fallow hunting.

Good year with average yields and some very nice fruit. Some of the yields were lower with smaller berries and more open bunches meaning more concentration of flavour and colour.

In any case that's over until next year. Hooray!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Hooray! Vintage is over! [Re: NitroX]
      #13787 - 21/04/04 03:49 PM

Isn't that a nice feeling? But like you said, there is still work to be done. If you do market some of your product, let me know.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #17714 - 09/08/04 02:06 AM

I took my better half out to dinner last night for her birthday. The restaurant had a rather impressive wine list, and I setteled on an Australian. It was a 1999 Penfolds Cabernet/Shiraz. It was truely magnificent! The price was $50.00 U.S., so I'm sure I can find it in our wine stores for $20.00-$25.00.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2227

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com