Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: I drank the kool-ade!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Otony
.224 member

Reged: 25/03/10
Loc: Walla Walla, WA
I drank the kool-ade!
      13/04/10 01:25 PM

Good evening Gentlemen,

Well, perhaps this is going out on a limb for a first post but I have been a big fan of slug guns for quite some time. I have also been shooting round ball from muzzleloaders (mostly smoothbores) for an even longer time, so while the thought of combining the two is certainly far from original, I have been considering it for far too long. Your postings have finally caused me to take action, and I have jumped in neck deep I'm afraid.

To that end I recently obtained a 12 gauge Sauer and Sohn SxS sporting side clips, a crossbolt, and double triggers. Overall condition is good, with a strong and tight lock up. The stock needs to be refinished, and as my enthusiasm for recoil is better served by large-bore sixguns of the .41 Magnum and .44 Special variety, a luxurious recoil pad will be fitted along with the new finish.

I also picked up three boxes of Magtech brass so far, but intend to search for paper hulls as well, as my intent is to use Holy Black. I want to try commercial round balls before progressing to casting my own, as I am not sure what I will eventually be using. The first order of business is to slug the bores and chokes to determine where the Sauer stands size wise per round balls needed. I want to try shooting it with the existing barrel length (28") and perhaps modifying the chokes before shortening the barrels (which I think is somewhat inevitable for the desired "look").

While reading the posts in this particular sub-forum I have found a variety of strong leads to follow. Indeed, the Sauer was actually obtained as a result of reading the great many posts re: "which shotgun for round balls". A fiber optic front sight seems to be a natural given the state of my 55 year old eyes, but I have yet to decide on a rear sight.

In the grand scheme of things, this smoothbore rifle will accompany myself, the wife, and our two children on our forays into the mountains of Eastern Washington and Western Idaho in pursuit of huckleberries and mushrooms. Woe betide the ursine terrorist foolish enough to dare disturb our gatherings. Secondary use will be against the porcine population of mid Oregon, and whatever other game I decide to pursue.

The Sauer will accompany me to the upcoming Gunmaker's Fair in Philomath, Oregon in order to cajole my friend Warren Adair into reworking the stock. He is a deft hand with stockmaking and should make short work of the needed modifications. A few "before & after" photos will be posted on my return.

A hearty thank you to the bunch of crazed enthusiasts who reside here. Your "thoughts" were all it took to finally push me over the edge!

--------------------
Otony

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* I drank the kool-ade! Otony 13/04/10 01:25 PM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! Grenadier   14/04/10 12:32 AM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! Otony   14/04/10 01:11 AM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! poprivit   14/04/10 10:32 AM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! Otony   14/04/10 02:30 PM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! Otony   24/05/10 09:21 AM
. * * Re: I drank the kool-ade! 9dot3x74R   13/04/10 04:45 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4621

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com