Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Patched balls in a bore gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Longknife
.333 member

Reged: 17/04/08
Loc: Illinois
Patched balls in a bore gun
      21/02/09 07:19 AM

I read with interest Daryls' post about using patched balls in bore guns. I have used .715 balls in cut off once fired plastic shells over a thick fiber wad and crimped, loaded with 100 grains of FF. I shot them out of an old Belgium SXS smooth bore (.729)and was surprised at the 50 yard accuarcy. No it wasn't a tack driver but I could get them close enough to use for deer hunting. I had always planned to use this gun for a back up during deer season if we had wet weather and I was leary of the flinter going off---never happened. It was always dry enough to use the flinter. Daryls' post re-kindled my interest and I am once again loading round balls in plastic shells but this time with patches. If any one plans to do this There are some measurements that you must make to select the proper combo.
First you will need to check the depth of the chamber, mine measures 2.8. I took some 3 inch shells and cut them off to that length. Second mic the inside or the shell, you want a pretty snug patch ball fit if you don't plan on crimping. I found that the inside of plastic winchester 12 ga. shells mic about .745. I then checked the bore of the gun and it mic'd .719, A little tight for a true 12 ga. but it was also marked 18.2 (mm) on the bottom. I opted to drop the ball size to .690 (ww lead)and patch it with a .028 cotton canvas. This is a good snug fit in the shell and a pretty snug fit in the barrel. This gun has cut off barrels to 22 inches so I have no chokes what so ever. I can easily get a max. 160 grains FF, a thick fiber wad and the patched ball in this 2.8 shell. I will start with a 100 grain charge and work up from there. I will only fire one at a time and always check to check second round to see if recoil is upsetting the ball. If it is I will have to get a crimper. If I get ANY kind of accuarcy I will then attempt to seperate the barrels at the muzzle regulate, and test again. Yes, they are brazed and were put together crooked at the muzzle end and need rereg'd anyway. I haven't ruled out rifling either about .05 or so maybe 1/80 or so??? Any suggestions? Commemts???....Ed

--------------------
Longknife

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Patched balls in a bore gun Longknife 21/02/09 07:19 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1689

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com