Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bullet/Ball sizing

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
AK_Stick
.224 member

Reged: 28/07/19
Loc: Alaska
Bullet/Ball sizing
      #331239 - 16/08/19 03:53 PM

Bought an Adams and Co 8 bore, pictures to come when it gets to me.

My question is, I had JJ slug the bores and they came out .838/.839. What size ball and bullet mold would you guys recommend?

I am looking at ordering a couple of different bullet molds from Accurate Molds for a 910, 1170 and 1320 grain mold with him sizing the bullets to .841, and the Cast Bullet Engineering .842 round ball. Any thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Bullet/Ball sizing [Re: AK_Stick]
      #331251 - 17/08/19 01:13 AM

What are the groove diameters? This is a ctg. gun?
That makes a huge difference to bullet and ball sizes.
With ML's the groove diameter is also important if the grooves are very deep. This necessitates thicker patches.
Seems it is a ctg. gun, in which case both bullets and round ball are undersized at .841" and .842"- likely.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

AK_Stick
.224 member

Re: Bullet/Ball sizing [Re: DarylS]
      #331255 - 17/08/19 02:51 AM

It is a 3-1/2 inch cartridge gun, I’ll have to get a hold of JJ and find out if that was a land to land or groove to groove measurement.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Bullet/Ball sizing [Re: DarylS]
      #331256 - 17/08/19 02:58 AM

Stick, welcome to Nitro Express! An 8 bore is a wonderful thing, welcome to the club.

You didn't say if this one is a Paradox or fully rifled; I am guessing a fully rifled?
If JJ slugged the bores then almost assuredly they are .838"/.839" groove which would indicate a rifle originally chambered for paper case ammo. (brass case rifles were usually .875" groove)

The projectiles may or may not fit in the modern plastic 8 bore cases at that diameter and be able to chamber, so your choice would then be custom brass cases from Rocky Mountain or go with an .835" ball/conical which was the usual paper case bullet diameter. The lubed wads will prevent gas blow by and the rifling will still be able to grab the ball.

I would try to get a sample .839" slug to see if it will fit the cases as well as chamber then mould cut at equal to or max .001" over the larger side, so .840" if that will fit.

Look up Cal Pappas (Wasilla), he's the Alaska guru on bore rifles and can likely help you out.

- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

AK_Stick
.224 member

Re: Bullet/Ball sizing [Re: 3DogMike]
      #331258 - 17/08/19 04:23 AM

Thanks, been lurking here for many years, finally have a reason to post.

I know Cal, just waiting his return from Africa, and to finish up hunting season for moose. Rocky Mountain cases are the plan. I have a 8 gauge side by side shotgun project I bought from another member that came with some .835 balls, and plastic cases. These unfortunately will not fit without visibly bulging the wad/case, so I suspect .838/9 are right out.

But if I could shoot .835 ball/bullets with acceptable accuracy and wads, that would be quite fine with me.

Quite the project to work on this winter.

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Bullet/Ball sizing [Re: AK_Stick]
      #331265 - 17/08/19 05:33 AM

I'd suggest getting right with it on Rocky Mountain brass cases as the business is for sale and limited production. Their doors are still open but who knows how much longer. I have their Brass for a Lyon & Lyon 12 bore full double rifle, they are perfect, and will last forever.
RMC will need a chamber cast and expected ball/bullet size.
I would go with .839"- .840" projectile to fit the groove dimension so long as you are getting custom cases anyway.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2507

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com