Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 16ga Rolling block - how much bp is too much?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
16ga Rolling block - how much bp is too much?
      #165087 - 28/07/10 11:03 AM

I own a Husky rolling block, 16ga straight rifled. The groove is far larger and I use an unpatched lyman round ball at .690 which nicely fills out the grooves. It is loaded in a brass case which is the only case that will hold that ball in this caliber.
Most of my loading data was based on the lyman book in order to estimate a safe load (estimating between a .58 load and the 12ga ball loads.
That case can hold quite a bit of powder. How many grains should I use as my limit? At the very least I am using an oversized and cupped card wad as well as a fiber wads to take up the space if need be, and an over powder wad.

I am using 2F Goex.

Thanks
Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: 16ga Rolling block - how much bp is too much? [Re: Tom_H]
      #165094 - 28/07/10 01:55 PM

Add powder until you get the trajectory you're comfortable with or you run out of case capacity -- whichever comes first.

Post targets.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 16ga Rolling block - how much bp is too much? [Re: tinker]
      #165115 - 28/07/10 11:34 PM

I tried a pure lead .684" ball that engraves only about .0045" on each side as a bare ball load in my Husky double 16, heavy crimp to hold the ball in the oversized brass case. The rifled, right bore has a .703" groove with a .675" bore diameter. Initial accuracy with the ball I tried, along with 14 gauge wads in brass 2.4" cases, shot fairly well at 30 yards - about 2 1/2" and pretty mucht o the sights. I then tested a 16 bore ball, that's .662", with a heavy .030" denim patch, lubed with mink oil. These make a might tighter group yet and on the sights. I was using a mere 3 drams of 2f GOEX - that's 82gr. The case will hold a lot more powder, but is it necessary. For moose or elk, I'd run that up to about 120gr, but probably not any more - not needed, as this will duplicate most of the round ball 16 and 14 bore mid 19th century rifleds for India - tiger, buffalo, elephant. the straight rifling is a close range deal - maybe 80 yards tops, but even that seemingly close range, what the real max range is depends on what the accuracy is like.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by CptCurl (29/07/10 03:41 AM)

Tom_H
.333 member

Reged: 13/04/05
Loc: Southeast, NY
Re: 16ga Rolling block - how much bp is too much? [Re: DarylS]
      #165146 - 29/07/10 06:21 AM

Thanks for the comprehensive responses.

I tried a number of loadings based on the first post and I guess that 120gr as a maximum would work out well. The gun is far from rifle accurate so I that would also dictate loads.
One that would work well out to 150 yds is unnecessary if the accuracy limits you to 75 which is something that I should have taken into account.
Time to take it back to the range and see if I can manage any other improvements.

Che,ers

Tom

--------------------
Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 16ga Rolling block - how much bp is too much? [Re: Tom_H]
      #165193 - 29/07/10 10:58 PM

Have at it, Tom. What you are throwing is knuckle-balls, just as in baseball. At some point, they will take a spin and like a curve ball, vere off.

We get much the same result when shooting our smoothbore muzzleloaders with tightly patched round balls. At some point, they take a spin and lose accuracy. At what point this happens does have a direct relationship to their speed. The faster they are going, the farther out they fly well before taking on the dreaded spin.

I've read the Husky description on the method of factory loading - some time ago, and think it said shot charges were made up in paper hulls - both black powder and smokeless, while the round balls were loaded in brass cases with black powder only. As to just what those loads were, grains weight, I don't know. My gun was made in 1898 to 1900. I refinished it in True Oil a couple years ago. right barrel is rifled.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by CptCurl (31/07/10 12:03 AM)

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: 16ga Rolling block - how much bp is too much? [Re: DarylS]
      #167999 - 19/09/10 04:53 AM

Daryl: Wow, that's a lovely Husqvarna underlever!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3999

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com