Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Looking for .620" roundball

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Looking for .620" roundball
      #110427 - 26/07/08 03:55 AM

Hey guys-

I'm looking for .620" roundball.
Anyone know of a source for ball of this size, short of calling Jeff Tanner and having him make a mould for me?

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Looking for .620" roundball [Re: tinker]
      #110449 - 26/07/08 11:14 AM

Tinker, you could try www.trackofthewolf.com for that size or something close enough to use.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
      #110459 - 26/07/08 03:37 PM

Tinker,

Lyman list a .620 round ball as a stock item, I have one of them myself, got mine from that wonderful site, Ebay.

Regards,
David.

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Re: Looking for .620" roundball [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #110460 - 26/07/08 03:50 PM

450A-

From Lyman I see 600, 610, 662 and 690
Do they have the 620 and just not list it?

Note that I am not shopping for roundball to patch and stuff in the muzzle of a rifle.
I'm looking for .620 roundball for a breech loading cartridge rifle.

--Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

#110486 - 27/07/08 12:28 AM

Just checked Track for you - no .620". I think I'd jsut bite the bullet and order a .625" mould from Jeff. The ball should run .621" to .622". That should work just fine. You could talk to him and tell him you want the ball to come out at XXX" and that you'll be using XX alloy. He may have some suggestions. If you ordered a .623" mould, it might be about perfect at .620". I don't know if he does this fine a measurement. The .725" mould I have from him, casts .722" in WW metal and .720" in Pure lead.

--------------------
Daryl

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: Looking for .620" roundball [Re: DarylS]
      #110598 - 28/07/08 05:27 PM

Tinker,
My sincerest apologies, I really need to read things a little more closely before I open my big mouth.
A case of fingers in gear before brain!
Daryl is correct, they don't make a stock 620 ball.

Again, my apologies.

tinkerModerator
.416 member

Re: Looking for .620" roundball [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #110630 - 29/07/08 05:04 AM

450A-

No worries here.
About 95% of the time I ask for this specific ball size I get the 'yes here are some .600 (or .610 or whatever) they have for however they'd load a fusil for ball.

Really, I'd love to find someone with .620/.625/.630/.635... so I could experiment around the range of sizes.

I just got off the phone with Track earlier and ordered some .648" ball (I think it was listed at .645 but they said I'd be getting .648") which I'll push though a bullet swage (likely just a plate or die I'll make on the lathe) to get them to groove diameter, then run them though my cannelure tool and grease, then back through the plate.
I'm not sure how much bearing surface this'll get me (hopefully not a huge amount), but since at this point I'm still having trouble standing for a very long period of time I'll just call this a good starting point.
I could make a mould here, but the time on my feet in the machine shop would be torture.

That and I still need to make brass for this rifle...

--Tinker

--------------------

CowboyCS
.333 member

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Kansas u.S.A.
      #110643 - 29/07/08 08:13 AM

You've got a lathe, and I think you mentioned other equipment in other threads, so why not make your own cherry, and make your own single cavity moulds? Pick up a .610 mould and squeeze the blocks over a .620 cherry, the pins are already there so it should self center, and cleaning up .005" off each side, wouldn't take any time at all.

--------------------
The Bill of Rights- Void were prohibited by law
Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Looking for .620" roundball [Re: CowboyCS]
      #110658 - 29/07/08 10:54 AM

Cowboy - only problem with re-cutting a .610 mould, is the final postion of the sprue. If it's a tangental cuttoff to start with9as in Lee moulds, the sprue will end up way beneath the surface of the ball. To some, that wouldn't matter, though and in a ctg. gun it won't make much difference I suppose.

--------------------
Daryl

CowboyCS
.333 member

#110659 - 29/07/08 11:20 AM

.010" extra opening across the sprue really isn't going to amount to much in a cartridge gun, not enough that you could notice it in the real world. But hey to each his own, some may want that perfection on paper thing. I'm more of a real world performance kinda guy. I have built a few absolute tack driving bolt guns, things that even shocked me because of there performance, but when you take it off the bench and start adding in all the real world hunting factors it shoots no better than the control you can muster with your prey in your sights under field conditions. So to me the difference of a flat spot were the sprue cut a little deeper wouldn't matter much to me in a hunting rifle, in a bench gun I would probably care. Truth is that flat across the sprue probably wouldn't bother me in a muzzleloader either, due to the fact that the ball is gonna spin to CoG anyways with or without the sprue protruding or a flat spot on it as long as it isn't loaded with the flat spot turned into the rifling.
That's all just my opinion and worth what you paid for it and hey I've been proven wrong before.

C

--------------------

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#110664 - 29/07/08 01:40 PM

Cowboy-

I definitely have a lathe, several actually.

Quote:

You've got a lathe...
why not make your own cherry, and make your own single cavity moulds?

Something else I have right now is a knee recovering from extensive surgery. New ligament, multiple repairs to extensive chondral defects -- they went in with hammers and punches fracturing the ends of my tibia and femur to get new cartilage to grow. Been in quite a bit of a state lately and I need to mind the doctor's orders in rehab.
Standing on it is not only an absolute pain (!!), but the time it'll take out in my shop to do this will border on torture.

I have this rifle for evaluation.
It's a double rifle and I want to see how it'll do before I wrap my fuzzy sense of ownership around it.
Double rifles are notoriously sensitive to such things as bullet shape and weight, and this thing looks an awful lot like a roundball gun.
I'll say this at least, bore size double rifles tend to have more latitude, to be less 'load sensitive' than the high-strung cordite express rifles. Hopefully this will work to my advantage.

I would like to get some pure ball in the range of .620+" to about .630" to test it with before I commit to tooling etc.
I'm already going to have to make my own cases for it, and I'm trying to keep the time on my feet in the machine shop to a minimum right now. It's a cold cramped bitch of a space to navigate in my current condition and I just want to get this thing to the ranch and run it.
It would be freakin great if someone actually made something between .610" and .648"
Just doesn't seem anyone does.

Go figure.

Thanks for the advice.
Believe me I've been thinking of all the ways I could get myself set up on my own.
I'd really love to at this moment be able to skip out there and make some chips.

--Tinker

--------------------

CowboyCS
.333 member

#110670 - 29/07/08 02:55 PM

I can relate to your situation, about 8 years ago I broke my hip and pelvis and damaged my knee in a horse wreck. I was down for several months, and couldn't do anything but therapy. I know how you feel, and wish you a speedy recovery.

--------------------

tinkerModerator
.416 member

#110674 - 29/07/08 03:25 PM

Cowboy-

Thanks for the good wishes.
Everything helps at this point!
I've been tapping the shoulders of old friends in the trade this week, might have some of a friend's shop time this weekend or early next week to get some tools made for this thing.

Toolmakers tend to stay busy. We also tend to get excited about each others' projects. That might work out to my advantage this time.

--Tinker

DarylS
.700 member

#110688 - 30/07/08 12:34 AM

At age 51, I went to an orthopod to see if I could get my blown knee repaired. Upon expamination he said that "that knee had been repared a couple times already - a long time ago". When I said yes, 1967 & 68, he said well, "they couldn't do a very good job with knees back then, and we can't do a very good job with them today". 'Course, those are Canadian Dr's he's talking about.
; Good luck, Tinker.

--------------------
Daryl

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #110706 - 30/07/08 08:58 AM

I've had both done and the right a second time under warrentee !!

I sympathise.

Regards

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4462

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com