Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 16 bore cape gun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
16 bore cape gun
      #81213 - 24/06/07 10:54 AM

G'day all,

I have posted this on the DR forum, but I thought this site a more appropriate spot.
I have just purchased a Tipping and Lowden 16 bore cape gun and was wondering if
anybody would have any information.

It is a sxs under lever hammer gun with both barrels in 16 bore, the left barrel being rifled
and the right barrel smooth bored. When I get it home I will pull it down and photograph
the proof marks etc. The only marking apart from the proofs is "Tipping and Lowden London"
on the rib.

It has 3 rear sight blades, 2 folding and 1 fixed. The blades are marked 100, 200 and 300 yds.
I feel the 300 would be a bit ambitious for a 16 bore would it not? The last query being especially
so as it has short barrels, probably about 20/22 inch. It obviously has been a working gun, and shows
what would probably be normal wear for a gun of it's age that has been out in the field, rather than on a rack. My next step is to contact the previoius owner to see if he has any history.

All the best, Ian.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: 16 bore cape gun [Re: watto]
      #81233 - 24/06/07 02:24 PM

Ian:
The correct name is Tipping and Lawden I believe. Your Google searches might be more successful with the correct spelling.

You should probably try the Internet Gun Club web-site. I no longer visit there since they started demanding money, but that's probably my loss.

BTW, a 16-bore cape gun as you describe would be a marvellous general purpose hunting gun for the close stuff, ie pigs in the lignum etc. What is the twist rate of the rifled barrel? Set up for round ball, I'll bet. Congratulations on the acquisition, I'm envious!

It does sound rather short in the barrels for a BP gun, though. Interesting... Standing by for photos!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Re: 16 bore cape gun [Re: Marrakai]
      #81241 - 24/06/07 07:42 PM

G'day Marrakai,

I realised while talking to a friend today about the cape I had probably spelt it wrongly.
I found another almost identical advertised online, except it looked like it had a longer barrel. I will see if I can find it again and send you the details if your interested.

I think I am one step away from finding out the history of mine. I spoke to the dealer in Tasmania today who sold it to the guy I bought it off. He has told me if we can find the invoice number from when he sold it, he will then be able to back-track it to the previous owner. He does remember it as a long time family owned gun from Ballina in NSW.

All the best, Ian.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 16 bore cape gun [Re: watto]
      #81244 - 24/06/07 11:06 PM

Watto:

Sounds like a really neat gun.

Cape guns with two similar bored shotgun barrels {one rifled, one smooth} used to be fairly common is Sweden. Some possessed straight rifling. I believe the most common bore was 20. I can't remember the Swedish term for the guns but they were indeed very handy and practical guns. There were special ball loads for the rifled barrels.

I'm sure others on the Swedish gunboards forum could clue you in much better, but the bottom line is that once upon a time {late-1800's-early-1900's} the advantages of guns like yours were better appreciated than they are now.

In the USA, some states actually ban the hunting of more than one type or class of game at a time {small game and deer for example} but nevertheless I am at times dumbfounded as to why combo guns are not wildly popular. My hunch is that Americans have been brainwashed into believing that only the bolt or lever are adequate tools for deer or big game harvesting, and thus they miss the possibilities available with a combo gun.

I am waiting for some enterprising gun company with a freethinking engineering department {PAY ATTENTION, RUGER!!} to design a readily regulatable double and combo system. One of Ruger's o/u shotgun models with a windage/elevation device and simple {"with gun included"} instructions for use just might sell. In the meantime, you have a really neat gun!

I guess I will have to wait for a Ruger 7x57R/12 gauge to hit the market...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3246

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com