Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts)
      #265081 - 17/05/15 08:23 PM

Extracts for James Forsyths book." The sporting rifle and its projectiles"(1867)l=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rigbymauser/media/aa%20sporting%20rifle%20and%20its%20projectiles%20Forsyth%201867/temporary_zpshb47ehna.jpg.html][/url]

Edited by rigbymauser (17/05/15 08:27 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) [Re: rigbymauser]
      #265084 - 17/05/15 08:46 PM

thanks, very interesting

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) [Re: lancaster]
      #265128 - 18/05/15 12:38 AM

It is a marvelous little book. The above is only the chapter pertaining to 'shells'.
If mixing up the compound for testing - where legal, of course, do not mix it in a slurry and that greatly changes it's safety of handling - apparently.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

rigbymauser
.400 member

Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) [Re: DarylS]
      #265129 - 18/05/15 12:45 AM

I would love to try to make up the tooling for such round. IŽll bet instead of using an explosive compound, filling the cavity with ordinary water would create a huge woundchannel into-what-ever it may hit. We can call it a supersize "Hydroshocks"(a la Federal)....

Edited by rigbymauser (18/05/15 12:52 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

#265134 - 18/05/15 02:41 AM

Water, sealed over the nose with beeswax might indeed work on a HP or Hollow Cavity design --- maybe. If totally enclosed might be ok, as long as there wasn't an airspace to cause gyrations in flight. Fine line between full and too full causing it to stress break in the barrel due to obturation - hmmmm. t5hinking in terms of a soft lead in a ML- hard will not work due to the need to obturate to fill the rifling.

An interesting situation, but water would definitely start violent expansion. What about something slightly more compressible - would some sort of an oil work as in veggie oil - or it is as non-compressible as water?

--------------------
Daryl

rigbymauser
.400 member

Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) [Re: DarylS]
      #265135 - 18/05/15 03:04 AM

Quote:

An interesting situation, but water would definitely start violent expansion. What about something slightly more compressible - would some sort of an oil work as in veggie oil - or it is as non-compressible as water?

I was fixŽn to say Mercury or motoroil...but I guess it would restricted to animals which are not to be eating.

The best thing I could think of would be liquid margerine used for cooking?. Easy you work with and can be sealed with stiffer Wax.

Jim_C
.300 member

Reged: 09/08/14
Loc: USA
      #265142 - 18/05/15 04:32 AM

I used to have an Ideal 456122 mould that had been special-ordered with an enlarged hollow-point to take a .22 blank in the hollow-point. (The obvious problem here is that if you drop a loaded cartridge, it falls point-down: landing on the blank. I never cared for that idea.) I experimented some with filling the nose cavity with olive oil, sealed in with a bit of wax.

First problem was that wax would soften (due to heat or some reaction with the oil, I never looked into it). Shellac made a better seal, but the bullets and loaded ammunition still required care in handling.

Second problem was metering a consistent amount of oil into the cavity. I finally used a small insulin syringe. This was a pain to do, but bullet weights were fairly consistent.

The third problem was that the super-dooper-delux-oil-filled-expanding-bullet seemed to expand no more than one with an open hollow-point. I tried several alloys ranging from 30-1 lead-tin, to wheelweights (as-cast and heat-treated as hard as I could get them), to Linotype. In no case was the expansion or splintering of the nose greater than what I got from the same alloy without filling the nose.

I also experimented with composite bullets: a nose of soft lead, with a base of harder lead. These were cast in one go, with the soft lead in one pot and the hard lead in another. From a rifle there was little difference, but sized down to .452" they did perform better than a mono-cast from the 5-shot 45 Colt Linebaugh I had then.

For my uses, the plain bullet worked as well as anything. Of course, a 45 is not an 8 bore, and I was not hunting tigers.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: The Jacob shell and experience with it.(extracts) [Re: Jim_C]
      #265144 - 18/05/15 04:48 AM

Many years ago, I experimented with an English detonating compound - I believe the same one used in the tube locks, pill locks and percussion caps up until 1900, when I was later told the formula was outlawed due to it's sensitive nature.

Along with charging my home made percussion caps, I also made some rather explosive bullets with it.

I bored 3/*" holes into the nose of almost solid (modified base plunger).58 Minnies and shot those from my .58 Hawken. I filled the noses with the compound powder (mixed in a slurry then dried and carefully turned to a dust-YIKES) I sealed the noses over with beeswax.

After being warned of it's sensitivity and prone to explosiveness for no apparent reason, I stopped abandoned the practice. It (the compounds residue) was very corrosive to steel due to the potassium chlorate used.

They were, however, effective in cutting off Aspen trees. IIRC- 3 shots would cut off a 6" Aspen (Poplar).

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3095

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com