Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: What size mold?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
karamoja
.275 member

Reged: 25/04/12
Loc: Herefordshire, GB
What size mold?
      #254017 - 25/09/14 05:55 AM

I am just about to get back my Greener GP jungle gun. I have had a quarter rib with barrel band and master piece front sight etc fitted and it shortened to 22". A bit of fun really for charging muntjac and the odd rogue squirrel I have to deal with. I have had it cut for interchangeable choke tubes so I can use it as a shotgun or with rifled tube at the range with slugs (uk law, slugs at the range only) The remington flush fit rifled tube has a groove diameter of. 718 I believe, the bore is. 729. I am about to order a round ball mold from jeff tanner, what would be the optimum diameter to order for the best accuracy for target work. And what else should I consider. I will graduate to a fosbery mold in time and I will post some photos as soon as I get it back from the smith.
Regards Karamoja

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: What size mold? [Re: karamoja]
      #254033 - 25/09/14 12:46 PM

The smallest measurement is the interior before rifling is cut, ie; the "bore" is the drilled then reamed size. The groove diameter is the measurement from groove to groove after they are cut.

Thus with a groove diameter of .729" (the old 'standard' 12 bore measurement for 12 balls equaling 1 pound) and .718" for the bore means with equal lands and grooves (even number0 that the rifling is .0055" deep - ie: 5 1/2 thousandth's.

I would order the mould at groove depth or .001" OVER (they shrink a bit when hardening) and use hardened balls for large game w/ antimony or tin added). The hardened balls will not hurt the rifling.

Or - you could also use an undersized ball, say .715" - standard Lyman mould) with a cloth patch which would eliminate ALL fouling buildup - never more than one shot's fouling in the bore, which would be soft due to the black power lubricant on the patch. They work.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

karamoja
.275 member

Reged: 25/04/12
Loc: Herefordshire, GB
Re: What size mold? [Re: DarylS]
      #254081 - 26/09/14 03:35 AM

Thanks Daryl, I will give that a try.
Regards Karamoja

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2062

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com