Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: H&H 28-bore 'Royal' 1885 Fosbery Patent 'Paradox'

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
H&H 28-bore 'Royal' 1885 Fosbery Patent 'Paradox'
      #170625 - 30/10/10 10:38 PM

An interesting piece coming up at Holt's in December
Sale A1048 Lot 1210

FORMERLY THE PROPERTY OF HRH PRINCE YUGALA DIGHAMBARA OF SIAM
HOLLAND & HOLLAND
AN EXCEPTIONALLY RARE 28-BORE 'ROYAL'1885 FOSBERY PATENT 'PARADOX' RIFLED-CHOKE SIDELOCK EJECTOR SHOT AND BALL GUN, serial no. 15834,
28in. nitro reproved barrels (in 2010) with matt sight rib, folding leaf sights for 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards with white metal-inlaid sighting lines and detachable bead foresight, tubes engraved 'HOLLAND & HOLLAND. 98, NEW BOND STREET. LONDON. "NITRO-PARADOX" FOSBERY PATENT.' (engraving refreshed), 2 1/2in. chambers, Col. G.Vincent Fosbery V.C. patent rifled chokes, patent no. 7568 of 1885, elongated top-strap, automatic safety with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' detail, removable striker discs with locking screws, gold-inlaid cocking-indicators, action body with lightly rounded bar, chequered front trigger, best bold scroll engraving with feathered borders, the underside engraved 'ROYAL HAMMERLESS EJECTOR', retaining traces of renewed colour-hardening and finish, 13 1/2in. well-figured diamond grip stock, including horn buttplate, weight 5lb. 7oz.

Provenance: The makers have kindly confirmed that the Paradox was completed in 1907 for a Mr Clark, but was subsequently re-regulated and sold by them to HRH Prince Yugala Dighambara , Prince of Lopburi, son of HM King Chulalongkorn of Siam.

Literature: The rifle features in the new book "PARADOX - The Story of Col. G.V. Fosbery, Holland & Holland, and the Paradox by David J. Baker & Roger E. Lake".

In the research undertaken for the book, Mssrs. Baker and Lake confirm that just eight Paradox rifles were made in 28-bore, making it the rarest of all the calibres and also the smallest. It was the last Paradox calibre developed and manufactured by Holland & Holland. Their theory as to the scarcity of 28-bore Paradox infers that the relative ineffectiveness of the 28-bore shot cartridges of the day made it less versatile than its larger calibre versions. Westley Richards had a similar experience with their 'Fauneta' shot and ball guns, with only ten 28-bore versions being built.

Other Notes: The Lot comes with a quantity of Eley brass 28-bore cases suitable for use with this gun
Estimate £25,000-30,000

Edited by CptCurl (31/10/10 12:00 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jaz
.300 member

Reged: 21/10/05
Loc: Northeast US
Re: H&H 28-bore 'Royal' 1885 Fosbery Patent 'Paradox' [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #171523 - 16/11/10 01:17 PM

I came close to buying this one while it was still here in the states. The bores were polished to the point of needing to be repoofed once it arrived in London. It is a nice gun but not 100%. These are tricky ones.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: H&H 28-bore 'Royal' 1885 Fosbery Patent 'Paradox' [Re: jaz]
      #171524 - 16/11/10 01:26 PM

Certainly not pristine but a scarce gun for a very niche collector. You could wait 20 years and not see another come to market. Do you need a 28 bore rifled choke Holland paradox to complete your collection and how much are you willing to pay to do so?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: H&H 28-bore 'Royal' 1885 Fosbery Patent 'Paradox' [Re: jaz]
      #171535 - 16/11/10 04:08 PM

Quote:

I came close to buying this one while it was still here in the states. The bores were polished to the point of needing to be repoofed once it arrived in London. It is a nice gun but not 100%. These are tricky ones.

I passed on this gun previously as well, nice but not nice enough..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5325

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com