Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ball and Shot

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
tarawa
.333 member

Reged: 21/10/07
Loc: South Florida
Ball and Shot
      #160841 - 22/05/10 10:53 AM

Has anyone checked out the new ball and shot (smoothbore) that doublegunhq is offering? Regulated at ~75 yards with Federal Tru-Ball slugs. IC and Mod choked for shot. Nice sites and rib and nicely engraved. This year they are offering it in 20ga and a 12ga is coming out next year. Price is reasonable for a nicely engraved gun.

--------------------
Life is for Service

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Otony
.224 member

Reged: 25/03/10
Loc: Walla Walla, WA
Re: Ball and Shot [Re: tarawa]
      #160921 - 24/05/10 02:19 AM

I assume you are referring to the Bad Boy. I have looked into it. It is Turkish, made in the same plant as the S&W doubles. I have to admit to being fairly interested, but the advertising for this gun states something to the effect of using existing tooling and regulating techniques in order to build at the asking price point.

It has been many years since I traveled extensively in Europe, and I have never visited the Near East, but I just don't recall seeing many Turkish double rifles, or more accurately, none. Not to say such a thing doesn't exist, but I would love a little more information on what the "existing tooling and regulating" is used for otherwise.

The website is a bit vague on pertinent information (I had to call and email to discover origin). The owner is pleasant enough, but not very verbose. You have to be proactive to keep the conversation going, he is not very forthcoming.

I have no problem with paying such an amount, but I would simply like to have a bit more constructive details to justify the price. I can buy a Huglu for a fraction of the cost, add sights, and play around until I find a load the regulates. It might not have the "flavor" of the Bad Boy, which does have somewhat of a resemblance to a double rifle, but it would serve the same purpose for a 1/3 of the cost.

My 2 cents.

--------------------
Otony

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: Ball and Shot [Re: Otony]
      #160927 - 24/05/10 06:17 AM

What are they asking for these guns?

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

Otony
.224 member

Re: Ball and Shot [Re: gatsby]
      #160932 - 24/05/10 07:35 AM

$1750 if you pre-order. $1950 if you buy after the first shipment arrives.

Since posting this morning I picked up a like new (it may be unfired) hammerless CZ/Huglu 12ga coach gun for $425, less than a 1/4th the cost of a Bad Boy. It has a Greener crossbolt and full pistol grip. I doubt it will cost me $1325 to add sights, a recoil pad, and find a load it likes.

In fact, I will try Truball first, but I consider the money spent on finding/building a load that shoots to aim as an investment in my future, so it is only the cost of sights and pad that I need to add in.

Don't get me wrong. $1750 is not too much to pay for this type of gun. I simply think it is a bit too much for a Turkish built gun. The S&W side by sides from the same plant are currently selling for around a 1000 bucks. I feel like the Bad Boy should have an upcharge of perhaps another 300 to 400 dollars, but not 750 to 950 more.

--------------------
Otony

tarawa
.333 member

#160934 - 24/05/10 08:55 AM

I am not sure how they are regulated, but the person that I spoke to, said that they are regulate dat the factory for Federal Truball ammunition. Is this a hit and miss type regulation trying all the slugs made until one brand hits on target at 75 yards, or are they actually regulated? It comes with a regulation target. The person also says that he tried another brand (Brenke?) and stated that they just hit low.
As for the CZ coachgun, I would like to find one myself in 12ga for the same reason.

--------------------
Life is for Service

Otony
.224 member

#160936 - 24/05/10 09:26 AM

Did you have the same experience as I? Getting the fellow to open his mouth was like pulling teeth. He wasn't impolite, just not inclined towards conversation. I can hardly imagine how he manages to sell guns with that demeanor. A salesman has to know the fine line between too much talk and not enough. This fellow was almost mono-syllabic!

As to the Huglu, I lost out on one a few weeks back on GB for a bit more, so this price makes me feel, well, warm and fuzzy. I have two small children, so a short double for our forest forays after mushrooms and huckleberries is quite the comfort.

--------------------
Otony

tarawa
.333 member

#160939 - 24/05/10 10:53 AM

I can't believe you even found a Huglu coach gun. I quit looking on Gunbroker, because I didn't think that they really existed. Just in their catalogue and website.

--------------------
Life is for Service

Otony
.224 member

#160940 - 24/05/10 11:17 AM

It is the second Huglu coach gun I have seen in two weeks! The first was listed as a CZ Amarillo on GB and I was waiting until close to the end to bid when someone did me wrong with buy-it-now for, choke....$475. Why I even hesitated buying it immediately is unknown to me.

The one I just picked up was local of all things. The strange part, and something I am not too thrilled about, is that it is completely factory matte nickle plated, barrels and all, sigh. NOT my idea of a classic shotgun, for slugs or otherwise, but at least I can tote it around the mountains in bad weather without being concerned about rust.

I rather imagine it would present a menacing appearance as a home defense shotgun as well.

"Holy smokes bubba! That fella has the biggest, shinest shotgun I ever did see!"

You have to look for the humor in situations such as these I suppose. I will just pretend some Rajah ordered it that way to endure the humid jungles of India whilst tiger hunting.......

--------------------
Otony

tarawa
.333 member

#161997 - 12/06/10 11:21 PM

There has been another on GB but at $699. I want one for $475. now myself!!!!!

--------------------
Life is for Service

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4656

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com